Did you mean: 

MWC - The future with 5G

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

Since returning from MWC 2019 I've had some time to reflect upon the main 5G ideas, use cases and technology I saw out there. I know many of you are interested in 5G and if you've not yet seen it, you can check out our plans to launch 5G in 2019 and beyond, right here.

So here's some of the different ideas, concepts and use cases I saw...

Telefonica

More info
For all the gamers out there, low pings are king. If you have a high ping, you're at a massive disadvantage as you're effectively seeing things after they happen - whereas with a fast ping, you're able to react in as close to real time as possible. At MWC, Telefonica demonstrated how you can have a ping time lower than most fast home broadband connections - something not possible with existing networks like 3G or 4G.
For press & media industry, 5G could revolutionise modern broadcasting and journalism. Telefonica demonstrated how with a 5G-connected video camera, reporters could cover breaking news with more immediacy than ever before, offer far great efficiency, and help eliminate the need for typical broadcasting trucks.
 Telefónica and FC Barcelona turned the Nou Camp into the first stadium in Europe with dedicated 5G coverage, which will allow Telefónica and FC Barcelona are to explore new ways of broadcasting sports with immersive contents to enjoy a match from home as if you were in the stadium. This was showcased at MWC by connecting a virtual reality system via 5G, to give instant immersion.

Nokia

More info
 One of their demonstrations was a vision for how a shipping yard could be modernised and transformed with 5G, allowing for drones to operate autonomously in large scale, while tracking every vehicle and shipping container. As the drones would be connected by 5G and provide them with around 2-5ms latency, the drones would be able to react in near real-time to ensure operational efficiency (ie, no crashes!)

KT & dal.komm

More info
 Demonstrating a pop-up cafe that could be installed quickly, run fully autonomously, and be monitored remotely in real time. I was told this tech could work over 4G, but peak output would suffer and if there was a malfunction with an overflowing cup for instance, the robotic arms would react slower over 4G and lead to higher damage potential.

CloudMinds

More info
 Showing off a robotic barister called 'Cathy', the robot would know where you were, what you asked for, and then hand you a coffee. The demo for me wasn't terribly impressive due to the very slow reactions, time to be served, and the robot during my demonstration appeared to malfunction, but the demo did showcase the potential future applications of 5G which is the important bit. Some baristas turn coffee into art - can a robot do the same? Would you still visit your favourite coffee shop if it replaced humans with robots, but served the same coffee?

Intel

More info
 Demonstrating an autonomous store of the future. Similar to a previous Amazon trial (which staff declined to comment on), this store doesn't track your actions through your phone, but by a camera array overhead integrated with a powerful AI system. Using 5G it could support a peak output of 800 customer transactions per hour which they say smashes what a typical non-supermarket store will typically process. The demonstration was impressive, knowing if I put something back that I picked up, and even detecting me trying to steal an item (the demonstrator encouraged me to try!)
 Using a camera array and AI once again, this demo focused on retail and providing personalised offers as I approach the shop window. The system directly analyses my gender and approximate age to display offers on the screen that may interest me. Using 5G, a store could set it up to detect if the customer wears glasses and then offer new lenses or frames. If it detects you're wearing earrings, it could show jewellery offers for instance.

Huawei & China Mobile

More info
 Both companies were showing their vision of a smart city inter-connected by 5G. Part of China Mobiles vision was that it could analyse incidents and disasters and during a building fire for instance, use AI models to determine the severity and spread of the fire and smoke, and alert those in high risk areas immediately. Part of Huawei's vision was that in an HQ, they would have a high level overview across the entire city, seeing a satellite view of real time traffic congestion, live feeds from any area of the city, drone feeds when deployed to an incident or accident, air pollution levels etc.

SK Telecom

More info
 Demonstrated a 5G use case in an automated factory. On a production line, a robot would take tens of pictures of each component under different lighting conditions to determine if a part passes quality assurance, or fails, and sorts each part into the correct conveyor belt in what appears to be a split second, the speed and accuracy of which is only possible on 5G thanks to the speed, latency and bandwidth.

After seeing some of the potential use cases that were shown at MWC, I want to ask you some important questions...
 What does 5G mean to you?
 What is your expectation of 5G?
 How do you see 5G transforming consumerism, retail, transportation and other industry?

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think 5G could be used as an effective alternative to fixed/static broadband especially students/business people. Although whilst I don't put gaming in high regard I can see the benefits from a technical point of view. Reduced ping isn't necessarily a factor in improving gaming performance.

The future of computing and information usage has always been about getting the same thing done, quicker using comparatively less energy to do so.

5G technology as exciting as it is will be a long time coming for anybody who lives outside an urban area, which I do at the moment and even though 4G is pretty much a good service here it took long enough even though I had a 4G SIM for around a year leaving only places like Glasgow and Edinburgh as good places for picking it up.

If it came down to choice at the moment, I would await a 5G Samsung S10 or LG possibly although I am finding they aren't as reliable.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 4

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Well @Chris_K 

I just hope that with the bands available and new handsets emerging and any fixed data devices o2 can actually rollout the the rural data revolution that 3G and 4g have lacked with the ultra low pings etc.

Some of us rural customers are lucky enough to live close to a Fiber to the cabinet box and get good speeds and low pings . But those that are reliant on satellite or distributed Wi-Fi with lower speeds and high latency will benefit the most from 5g.

M2M i guess will see a big step change etc 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 4

NetworkHedgehog
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’m hoping to replace my home broadband with a 5G router if the price is right.
Message 4 of 4