Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Welcome & News

O2 Social Media Team

Re: MWC 2019 Megathread

[ Edited ]

@Cleoriff wrote:

The water purification system sounds great but makes me wonder

1) Do you need a phone signal for it to work?

2) If it's as 'easy'as that, why can't the powers that be develop something similar on a larger scale NOW?

When you see adverts of children drinking foul water in under developed countries, it's sad and sickening.

By the way @Chris_K  not impresssed with the cat litter box. Too big and cumbersome. Cats don't smell.. they are cleaner than dogs. (Pfffttt to you not being a fan Whistle) All you need is a good owner who changes the litter trays frequently.

The rest of the tech is pretty mind blowing btw...

Cats themselves might not smell, but my goodness, their "business" does - and it's worse than any dog smell I've ever smelled... And I had one that rolled about in swan muck one time! rofl

The water purification tech itself is impressive, but the phone isn't the magical component I'm afraid. Lets use a remote part of Africa as an example - dirty water may be readily available, but what you probably won't have is a power source. These guys have created a water purification system that can use multiple different power sources - one being a solar panel, and another being powered by your phone USB port.

I've unfortunately misplaced the notes I captured at the stand but if memory serves, they were selling these units for around ~€300-350. So there's nothing stopping the powers that be buying these up, but they really are only personal purification devices - so one for every person/family. When you consider there's nearly a billion people in areas with no access to clean drinking water, unfortunately there's no power out there that will pay for devices like this for everyone that needs it.

@ ALL - If this has intrigured you, you should check out Mark Rober's latest video. P&G have created a powder that turns totally undrinkable water into safe, drinkable water. It's a totally different approach to water purification, costs $0.68 per sachet, which P&G then sell at a loss.

CommunitySig_Animated_2.gif

Topics: 685

@Chris_K 

Extremely impressed with P&G water purification sachets. Wow....

*The Game Is On*

Topics: 251
Kudos: 437

Thank you @Chris_K  for posting about the Proctor & Gamble inexpensive water purification sachets ... How many times do we see tv showing people in '3rd World Countries' having dirty water to drink? Smiley Sad

Good to see philanthropist side of Bill Gates smiling

*possum si vollo* *per ardua ad astra*

I don't work for O2
Xperia L1 - The Android Army Marches Onwards
Acer Aspire 5750 laptop
Unlimited Sky Broadband
MI6 - Commander Jane TOP SECRET - Status 00 Licensed To Type - HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE + pic of a very young Lois Maxwell (have mug to prove it) - Promotion tbc to Data Entry
O2 Social Media Team

Hey all,

I've just uploaded my day 3 summary here, check it out. Quick summary:
- Vuzix have AR glasses that I could actually see being used by consumers
- A robot barista attacked me with coffee. iRobot 2, starring me, not Will Smith. THIS IS WHERE IT BEGINS!
- Smart stores of the future are amazing!
- 'Faster than light' is something pureLiFi are trying to prove is possible
- HTC have a blochain phone you can earn cryptocurrency from by selling your data
- Graphene tech isn't the revolution I thought/hoped it would be, but more an evolution

CommunitySig_Animated_2.gif

Topics: 685

The robot barista made me laugh. Obviously didn't like you much @Chris_K  joy

*The Game Is On*

Highlighted
Topics: 547

@Cleoriff wrote:

The robot barista made me laugh. Obviously didn't like you much @Chris_K  joy

Every home should have one! LOL

I'm seriously impressed with the water purification sachets but I'm sure these aren't actually a new thing as I'm sure I have read about those some maybe 12 months ago?

Name rings a bell

https://www.techxlab.org/solutions/p-and-g-children-s-safe-drinking-water-pur-purification-sachets

Also P&G here

https://www.butylproducts.co.uk/product/p-g-water-purifying-granules/