Did you mean: 

MWC 2019 Megathread

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions
Schermata-2018-10-01-alle-08.47.06.png

Welcome to the MWC 2019 Megathread. We're keeping it simple this year, and using this thread for ALL things MWC.

Seen something at MWC you want to post about? Tell us here.
► Seen something you're interested in? Want to know more about? Tell us here.

Just what is MWC?
MWC is the biggest mobile centric event on the planet. It's where individuals and businesses convene under one roof to showcase the latest and greatest advancements in mobile technology. Check out this thread for more info.

Will O2 / Telefonica be there?
Our parent company Telefonica will have a strong presense at MWC, as with previous years. I'll be visiting the stand this year and will update this thread with photos and info.

What can we expect at MWC this year?
Ohh, so so much! As the name of the event suggests, expect to see lots of phones, phone tech, and maybe more strangely - things that are very not a mobile (eg, drones, driverless cars, smart home tech etc). Here's some of my bigger expectations:

• Mobile Phones: Interesting handsets from non-major players (in the UK, at least). Expect the likes of Xiaomi, Vivo, ZTE, Oppo & others
  • Networking & 5G: With 5G phones on the way and networks across the globe rolling out their 5G network in 2019/2020, expect a lot of this!
  • Smart Stuff: I expect to see a lot of smart home tech, smart wearables, and pretty much just smart everythings. The rise of IoT & 5G could be huge.
  • Cars: Each year I've gone to MWC I've seen prototype cars in some shape or form, so I expect to see more smart / connected car concepts this year
  • The Unexpected: Every now and then there's a surprise at MWC. Something that makes people take notice. This year, I've got my fingers crossed for a graphene battery breakthrough that's fully developed, safe and robust enough to be considered for consumer tech in 2019 or 2020.

Right, I'm excited and intrigued. Will you be keeping us updated?
Yes! As you can see below I've created a few 'placeholder' posts. I intend on us posting a daily summary / wrap-up of the best bits of tech I've seen that day (either posted later that night, or earlier the next day). If I see any tech that I'm just really excited about that I don't want to wait to share, i'll create a new post and effectively 'bump' the thread.

Can I make a request?
ABSOLUTELY! I'm here in part for you guys, so if you see or hear about any tech at MWC that interests you, just tag me, Marjo, Martin or Emilie and I'll do my best.

In fact, lets kickstart things. Tell us below what tech companies or kind of tech interests you the most, and if I see anything similar, i'll capture some photos & details.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

The water purification system sounds great but makes me wonder

1) Do you need a phone signal for it to work?

2) If it's as 'easy'as that, why can't the powers that be develop something similar on a larger scale NOW?

When you see adverts of children drinking foul water in under developed countries, it's sad and sickening.

By the way @Chris_K  not impresssed with the cat litter box. Too big and cumbersome. Cats don't smell.. they are cleaner than dogs. (Pfffttt to you not being a fan Whistle) All you need is a good owner who changes the litter trays frequently.

The rest of the tech is pretty mind blowing btw...

Cats themselves might not smell, but my goodness, their "business" does - and it's worse than any dog smell I've ever smelled... And I had one that rolled about in swan muck one time! rofl

The water purification tech itself is impressive, but the phone isn't the magical component I'm afraid. Lets use a remote part of Africa as an example - dirty water may be readily available, but what you probably won't have is a power source. These guys have created a water purification system that can use multiple different power sources - one being a solar panel, and another being powered by your phone USB port.

I've unfortunately misplaced the notes I captured at the stand but if memory serves, they were selling these units for around ~€300-350. So there's nothing stopping the powers that be buying these up, but they really are only personal purification devices - so one for every person/family. When you consider there's nearly a billion people in areas with no access to clean drinking water, unfortunately there's no power out there that will pay for devices like this for everyone that needs it.

@ ALL - If this has intrigured you, you should check out Mark Rober's latest video. P&G have created a powder that turns totally undrinkable water into safe, drinkable water. It's a totally different approach to water purification, costs $0.68 per sachet, which P&G then sell at a loss.

Message 11 of 16

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Chris_K 

Extremely impressed with P&G water purification sachets. Wow....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Chris_K  for posting about the Proctor & Gamble inexpensive water purification sachets ... How many times do we see tv showing people in '3rd World Countries' having dirty water to drink? slight_frown

Good to see philanthropist side of Bill Gates smiling

Message 13 of 16

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

I've just uploaded my day 3 summary here, check it out. Quick summary:
- Vuzix have AR glasses that I could actually see being used by consumers
- A robot barista attacked me with coffee. iRobot 2, starring me, not Will Smith. THIS IS WHERE IT BEGINS!
- Smart stores of the future are amazing!
- 'Faster than light' is something pureLiFi are trying to prove is possible
- HTC have a blochain phone you can earn cryptocurrency from by selling your data
- Graphene tech isn't the revolution I thought/hoped it would be, but more an evolution

Message 14 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

The robot barista made me laugh. Obviously didn't like you much @Chris_K  joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 16

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

The robot barista made me laugh. Obviously didn't like you much @Chris_K  joy

Every home should have one! LOL

I'm seriously impressed with the water purification sachets but I'm sure these aren't actually a new thing as I'm sure I have read about those some maybe 12 months ago?

Name rings a bell

https://www.techxlab.org/solutions/p-and-g-children-s-safe-drinking-water-pur-purification-sachets

Also P&G here

https://www.butylproducts.co.uk/product/p-g-water-purifying-granules/

Message 16 of 16