cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MWC 2019 - It's right around the corner!

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey everyone,

It's that time of the year again. It's Mobile World Congress (MWC) time!

What is MWC? It's one of the biggest annual tech events around and is primarily focused on mobile technology. It's where innovators, businesses and individuals around the world gather to showcase brand new concepts, technologies or ideas... You never know what's going to be there!

When does MWC kick off? It all goes live from Monday 25 February. To help get you excited and think about what may be on the way, here's a quick summary of what happened last year.

What happened last year?  MWC 2018 had a clear focus on 5G, which I expect will likely continue this year as many mobile networks across the globe work on their plans for 2019, 2020 and beyond. On the handset front, there was a massive shift to full-screen, notched displays - with some brave innovations such as the foldable displays, and even a phone with a pop-out camera (no notch!). And there were also smart, well, everything... Smart bikes. Smart mirrors. Smart clothes.

Related links: 
Day 1 Round-up // Day 2 Round-up // Day 3 Round-up

Stop bragging Chris, you're going again aren't you? I am tongue_winking and next Friday i'll create an MWC 2019 Megathread which we'll use throughout the event to keep you guys posted on any super cool, slick or interesting tech, news or announcements I come across.

point_right What are your predictions for MWC 2019?
point_right What sort of tech do you hope/want to see at MWC this year?
point_right Is there any kind of tech or company you're interested in, that I can try and find out more about for you?

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Chris_K

Lucky you, I presume it's in Barcelona as usual? Enjoy wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

AlexYem84
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 16 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Can't wait for the Galaxy S10 info!
#GalaxyS10
Rock on MWC 2019 👍
Message 3 of 9

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@AlexYem84 wrote:
Can't wait for the Galaxy S10 info!
#GalaxyS10
Rock on MWC 2019 👍

Samsung are going against the grain (even more so!) this year compared to previous years. In previous years they've had big announcements on the Sunday, the day before MWC, but this year they're doing it even earlier - this Wednesday in fact.

Assuming Samsung will still have a presense at MWC, then i'll be scoping out everything they've got on show!

Message 4 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions
Nice gig if you can get it @Chris_K!!
I quite like the out there concepts more than the actual production - much like some of the prototype cars that get shown it is interesting to see how out there they can make things.
Smart wear is the most likely thing for me, although most of it is out of my price range.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 9

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Nice gig if you can get it @Chris_K!!
I quite like the out there concepts more than the actual production - much like some of the prototype cars that get shown it is interesting to see how out there they can make things.
Smart wear is the most likely thing for me, although most of it is out of my price range.

I'm a big fan of the potential of smart clothing / accessories. Do we need them? Absolutely not. Is it over-engineering gone mad? Most probably. Is it cool as heck? Absolutely! A year or two ago there was a company showing some smart shoe prototypes where one of them was tailored specifically to runners. It has sensors in the shoe that could help them analyse the heel strike, speed, balance. Impressive stuff.

If I spot any smart wear out there @gmarkj I'll capture some photos/videos/info for you. Same for any interesting prototype and in-development tech.

Message 6 of 9

gmarkj
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions
I think that there are some genuine use cases for smart tech - like the shoes you mention for runners or other athletes.
I remember hearing about smart clothing that gradually built up a charge you could use to power your phone. That disappeared without mention!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 7 of 9

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
I think that there are some genuine use cases for smart tech - like the shoes you mention for runners or other athletes.
I remember hearing about smart clothing that gradually built up a charge you could use to power your phone. That disappeared without mention!

Sounds like they maybe had some SHOCKING issues to deal with... rofl

I'd love to see smart sunglasses at some point. If you're wearing them it's more than likely because it's sunny. Would be good for a minimal bit of smartness with these, with a constant small HUD showing temperature, UV index, sun protection reminders & incoming notifications only. My hope would be as the 'smart' bit was minimal, anyone would pick them up thinking they were just normal sunglasses - so zero bulk/weight of existing attempts, and good enough battery life to last a few days.

Message 8 of 9

gmarkj
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions
True - I am aware of something similar in use in a work setting.
The company I used to work for did some trials on them and they got some really good results (please note, I did not work at the site that tried them):
https://www.supplychaindigital.com/technology/dhl-supply-chain-roll-out-vision-picking-smart-glasses...

Message 9 of 9