Did you mean: 

Introducing Volt – the new supercharged service from Virgin Media O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions
Volt_Banner_Crop_2.gif

UPDATE: We've seem some repeat questions and common issues being raised. We've added an update here so if you're experiencing issues, please read this first and see our post-weekend update here too.

Good morning all. What a week this is going to be! This morning we have introduced Volt to the world, the new supercharged service from Virgin Media O2. Our press release was published here this morning with notes and sources, but I've copied the juicy bits below.

Whether you're an O2 customer, a VM customer, both, or none, you can check out our handy website here which will show you how you can get supercharged.

Can I get Volt benefits for everyone in my household who’s on O2?

If you have Virgin Media broadband in your name, you’ll be able to get Volt benefits for all O2 Pay Monthly plans in your name, in your household. But we’re expanding this. Soon, anyone in your household with their own O2 Pay Monthly plan will be able to get Volt benefits through the household’s Virgin Media broadband account. Keep an eye on My O2 and you’ll see the option to activate Volt benefits when it becomes available to you, and you can also stay up to date by visiting https://www.o2.co.uk/virgin-media-o2

_16-9 Screens_v001.jpg

First joint product gives customers the best of both brands, with even greater value on UK’s fastest major broadband provider and award winning mobile network

• Volt marks the first major launch since Virgin Media and O2’s £31bn merger earlier this year
  • Gig 1 broadband available for the first time in a bundle, combined with an unlimited data O2 SIM and TV favourites
  • Existing customers simply need to register to get their services supercharged – for free
  • Volt brings faster broadband speeds, double mobile data and discounts

London, UK: Virgin Media O2 is today lifting the lid on its first ever joint product, Volt, bringing together award winning connectivity and amazing entertainment from both Virgin Media and O2, to give customers even more from their services – more speed, more data and more value.

Virgin Media and O2 customers can now supercharge their services and reap extra rewards simply by being customers of both brands. Volt offers double the broadband speed, double the mobile data and discounts on connected devices when customers have or choose to take a broadband service from Virgin Media and a Pay Monthly plan from O2. What’s more, customers with an O2 plan can access exclusive rewards, perks and experiences from Priority – one of the UK’s best loyalty initiatives.

The new joint offering comes less than 150 days since Virgin Media O2 launched, building on the company’s momentum of almost 13 million gigabit premises passed and 5G coverage from O2 expanded to 210 locations. Volt highlights Virgin Media O2’s commitment to offer more choice, convenience and innovation with seamless broadband, entertainment and mobile services all available under one roof.

Exclusive Virgin Media O2 Volt benefits include:

• A broadband speed boost to the next tier available (e.g. 100Mbps boosted to 200Mbps)
  • Double mobile data on all eligible O2 Pay Monthly plans (e.g. 10GB boosted to 20GB)
  • Up to £150 off a connected device such as a tablet or smartwatch when taking a new O2 Pay Monthly Custom plan
  • WiFi Pods available to bolster connectivity around the home
  • Roaming in 75 countries including USA, Australia and Spain with O2 Travel

Volt is available to both new and existing customers, offering exclusive benefits to account holders no matter what broadband package or eligible Pay Monthly plan they take. Those new to either Virgin Media or O2 will be able to upgrade to Volt when they add relevant services to their connectivity line-up, while existing customers of both Virgin Media and O2 simply need to enrol via MyO2 to get their services supercharged – at no additional cost.

Jeff Dodds, Chief Operating Officer at Virgin Media O2 said,

“With Volt, we’re combining the speed and reliability of Virgin Media’s broadband and O2’s mobile networks alongside a variety of incredible perks to give our customers more.

“The launch of converged services in less than 150 days as a business is a huge milestone moment and demonstrates the momentum we have behind our commitment to supercharge connectivity across the UK. This is just the start.”

This exciting milestone for Virgin Media O2 means that consumers who do not currently take services from either brand can supercharge their package with Volt from the get-go, with new bundles containing an O2 SIM and Virgin Media broadband available on 18 month contracts. The new packages include the ‘Big Volt’ bundle, ‘Bigger Volt’ bundle and ‘Ultimate Volt’ bundle, all of which come with the exclusive Volt benefits and boosts to offer customers more. Pricing for Volt bundles start from £40 per month for 200Mbps Broadband (boosted from 100Mbps), Talk More Weekends and a 10GB O2 SIM (boosted from 5GB). The top Volt bundle (Ultimate Volt bundle) includes Gig1 broadband, an unlimited data O2 SIM, tonnes of TV favourites and two TV 360 boxes, available for £99 per month.

Supercharging small businesses

Small businesses and start-ups who take a Voom broadband service from Virgin Media Business and an eligible O2 Small Biz tariff can also supercharge their services, with 4G start-up and back-up, double mobile data and exclusive perks from Priority.

Virgin Media O2 is the leading converged challenger in the market, pairing O2’s award winning mobile network and the UK’s fastest major broadband provider to enhance connectivity for customers at home and on the go. With Virgin Media’s rapid gigabit broadband rollout and O2’s commitment to deliver 5G to half the UK population in 2023, Virgin Media O2 is just getting started.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 524
523 REPLIES 523

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Have you waited the 14 days?

That is a generic error message so don't worry

We’re just customers like you but it sounds like you’ll need someone to access your account which can’t be done from here. If you message O2 using the links below, they should be able to help you with this

Message 351 of 524

hugonagasaki
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just rung Virgin Media and they have to issue a new contract for my 200mb to be "supercharged" which lets O2 know that i am "eligible" for VOLT2. However the supercharging to the next level, 350mb broadband would cost me an extra £11 a month. So this is basically a scam, it's a benefit, its a chargeable extra

Message 352 of 524

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

That's not correct

Speak to someone else or make a complaint on their website

That's what I did and three days later my speed was doubled at no extra cost to me

Message 353 of 524

Patonthenet
Level 3: Thinker
  • 83 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Great, when we joined 02 many years ago we had 2 accounts, one in my name one in my husband name. 02 later invited us to manadge both or more account in just one account. This we did, John xxx Pat xxx and 2 other pay as you go numbers.

Now we did that it automatically excludes us from volt, been with virgin media 20 years or more, probably same with 02. But one account name in 02, another account in virgin media, and one person psying both bills.

It really never matterd whos name was used, think gas in my ne electric in johns, but one sse account.

This is what 02 does to long term customers, at least virgin gave us a good deal, time to look st this new city fiber company

Message 354 of 524

Pleiades
Level 3: Thinker
  • 37 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My Virgin Media broadband is in my mother's name but at my address (she's in a care home with vascular dementia) though I pay for it.  My O2 account is registered to the same address but VM won't talk to me even though I've looked after Mum's account for years - they say I need Power of Attorney, which I can't afford to apply for at the moment.

I'm not sure what happens when Mum dies... will I be forever locked out of my (her) account?

Obvs. I'm not getting either O2 or VM boosts!

Message 355 of 524

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

In regards to Volt, @Pleiades:

Screenshot_20211216-062621.png

I think there is hope yet, as this seems to describe your position.

Timelines never were O2's strong point, and VM will do anything to try and get more £££ out of you. "Hang in there", is all I can say - and read through all posts by Chris_K on this thread Volt Megaguide very closely.

Message 356 of 524

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

As mentioned in a post by Chris_K in this thread: Volt Megaguide and quoted below:

Screenshot_20211216-062621.png

I think your case matches this, just VMO2 isn't quite there yet - a lot of rationalisation of back-end systems has been going on after the merger, as evidenced by the problem with historical bills from before Aug2021 on the O2 side (if you had noticed).

You are free to move elsewhere, of course, but I would hang in there a while longer yet.

I think you will get your Volt Boost eventually, @Patonthenet.

Message 357 of 524

Rob48
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This Volt thing seems to be a real shambles. I contacted customer support and they said the problem may be that the names are not identical (O2 account includes my middle name, VM does not). They suggested I call VM to change my account name. Tried that and the guy told me that to get Volt I needed to change my entire bundle and get a new SIM card sent under a whole new O2 account. Went through this for 40 minutes then he said he would transfer me to O2 so I could transfer my old number to the new SIM card. The (much more helpful) person at O2 said I didn't need to do that and I should just change the name on my account... which I need to send off a utility bill for. So he is going to cancel the new SIM card etc. An hour of my life wasted.

Message 358 of 524

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@Rob48 

VM's customer services are inept and its all about commission, so they try and do the upsell to every customer.. 

I would put in a complaint to the VM agents as they need to stop this practice

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 359 of 524

Rob48
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes the VM guy assured me it wouldn't cost any more per month but it was all so pointless. He asked for my email address then said I couldn't use that because the email was already in use. Yes that's because I already have a perfectly good O2 account! The O2 customer service guy was very helpful and said he would cancel it but I have already had the emails saying my new SIM has been dispatched and the Volt benefits have been set up on this new account! I can see it taking ages to sort out this mess.

The whole Volt thing seems to be broken. There is no communication between VM and O2.

Message 360 of 524