Did you mean: 

Huawei & Android: The latest from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

As most of you will have seen, Huawei has been in the news this week and we’re here to update and reassure our customers who use Huawei or Honor devices. This week the US Commerce Department has granted a temporary license restoring Huawei’s ability to maintain existing networks and provide software updates to existing Huawei handsets until August 2019.

We’re continuing to monitor the situation to understand any and all potential implications for our customers and we’ll update this thread with the latest information.

The situation for existing customers

Huawei has indicated that for existing Huawei and Honor devices which are currently on the market, things will stay the same for now and the phones will continue to operate normally, including access to Google services such as Google Play, Gmail, etc. Huawei has confirmed these devices will continue to receive security updates from Android and will be covered by Huawei’s after-sales service.  Based on the current situation, availability of software updates (including apps and bug fixes) after 19 August 2019 cannot be confirmed and it’s possible the ongoing issue could prevent the upgrade of existing apps from taking place.

The situation for new/future customers

For anyone considering purchasing a Huawei or Honor device, we want to help you understand the current situation as best as we can, from what Google and Huawei have made public so far:

• To date, Huawei has not confirmed the availability of future Android updates for their devices.
  • However, the US Government has issued a partial and temporary license (expiring 19 August) which permits Huawei to provide service and support, including software updates and patches to existing Huawei devices that were available to the public on or before 16 May.
  • Based on the current situation, availability of software updates (including apps and bug fixes) after 19 August 2019 cannot be confirmed and it’s possible the ongoing issue could prevent the upgrade of existing apps from taking place.

In all cases, we continue to analyse the situation closely. We will be in permanent contact with Google and Huawei, in order to share with our customers any additional relevant information.

We understand many of you have some specific questions, so we’d like to cover these below.

I am an existing Huawei smartphone user, what does this mean for me?

• Your device will continue to function as it does today.
  • All the Google services and apps will continue to function and you will be able to download & update applications from the Play Store.
  • Huawei will be able to issue Android security updates based on patches provided by Google.
  • Based on the current situation, availability of software updates (including bug fixes) after 19 August 2019 cannot be confirmed.

*The information provided is based on Huawei's statements.

Q. I am thinking of purchasing a new Huawei smartphone from the current available range, what does this mean for me? 

• Your device will come with full current Android software, including all the normal Google applications.
  • All the Google services and apps will continue to function and you will be able to download & update applications from the Play Store.
  • Huawei will be able to issue Android security updates based on patches provided by Google.
  • Based on the current situation, availability of software updates (including apps and bug fixes) after 19 August 2019 cannot be confirmed and it’s possible the ongoing issue could prevent the upgrade of existing apps from taking place.

*The information provided is based on Huawei's statements.

Can I return my Huawei/Honor device for a refund or exchange as a result of this issue?

• Yes, if you’re within your 14-day Change of Mind period. If you’re outside of 14 days, you will not be able to return the device for a refund on the basis of the current situation while your device continues to work as it should. We will continue to monitor the situation and advise customers if things change.

What about Honor products?

• Honor is not officially included in the list, but as a Huawei subsidiary and as confirmed by Huawei and Google, it is likely that Honor is impacted in the same way as Huawei.

Will Google Services continue to work on existing Huawei phones?

• Google have publicly stated “We assure you while we are complying with all US gov't requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device.”

Will Google apps/services continue receiving updates?

• Google and Huawei have confirmed for now that Google apps will continue being updated through Google Play.  Based on the current situation, availability of software updates (including apps and bug fixes) after 19 August 2019 cannot be confirmed and it’s possible the ongoing issue could prevent the upgrade of existing apps from taking place.

I heard that Huawei have been granted a 90 day license extension, what does this mean?

• The US government has issued a partial and temporary licence (expiring 19 August 2019) which permits Huawei to provide service and support, including software updates and patches to existing Huawei handsets that were available to the public on or before 16 May 2019.  Based on the current situation, availability of software updates (including apps and bug fixes) after 19 August 2019 cannot be confirmed and it’s possible the ongoing issue could prevent the upgrade of existing apps from taking place.

449 Huawei Info_v2_01-1.png

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

I know there's been some negativity around O2 Recycle values. While this may not give much comfort, we do continually monitor our O2 Recycle quotes for all devices to ensure we are reflecting market values and giving competitive offers.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 32 of 50

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 33 of 50

jcf224
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes but you're still expecting me to pay a total of £849 to pay off my refresh contract for a phone I've had less than a month. You're also still selling them at a high price too. Where's the reflection of the market value there? The P30 Pro is so new that there will be hardly anyone still within the 14 day return period. I had mine on 7th May and was just out of the 14 day when this happened. This phone is worth more than £100 but you have trapped me into being unable to anything if I want to change sort from lose hundred of pounds. I don't expect full price from recycle but not so long ago the trade in price was well over £400, I think it was £425 which is a bit more like it than a measly £100. Market value works both ways yet you expect customers to pay full price 😠
Message 34 of 50

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
To be devils advocate a little here, see it from the trade in businesses point of view (better believe it's not just o2 doing this)
Suddenly people start dumping their Huawei phones en Masse, by now your offering £350, music magpie and cex are at £175, everyone going to exploit you so you HAVE to match the region of others, otherwise before long, you're gonna have 7000 p30 pro, bought in at £350, that will NEVER sell for a profit, even making an even price is soon impossible and you're left with 5000 p30 pro that's soon out of date, unwanted and gathering dust faster than you could ever imagine.
It's an odd, and very unique situation that, if honest, will probably blow over in the end anyway. Why would ANYONE choose to sell a p30 for £75-100?? No one is forcing you to sell, keep it, enjoy it, it's still very much the same beast you bought.
Message 35 of 50

jcf224
  • 14 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I get what you mean but as this is an odd situation if when we get to August the situation worsens, people should get some sort of recompense or reduction in the price of the handset they have bought. Yes the networks have a business but consumers don't have their kind of money and shouldn't be left out of pocket either. I'm not intending to sell my P30 pro for peanuts but if the situation worsens and this phone doesn't keep up with the updates then I expect to be able to change handset or have a reduction in the device plan with a decent venue for this phone. It's bad enough that o2 haven't activated WiFi and 4g calling on this phone yet, it should be active by now. If the situation improves then the trade in price will hopefully increase but if it doesn't the value in a coupe of months time will do even more. I like the phone but need to have all the network features and up to date versions, patches etc if buying something at this price. I really wish I hadn't upgraded now. I like the refresh idea if the trade in amount is reasonable enough to allow you to upgrade, like I did to get this.
Message 36 of 50

Atrindoril
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The problem is it is very much not the product I purchased. For me part of the reason for upgrading is to maintain patch levels. I personally do not want an out of date device on the Internet. It is simply too large a security risk. This phone promised a patch schedule seemed much faster than Samsung and as it was a new device it would have at least two years of Google patches (Inc major updates) according to an old Google I/O promise. On top of that we do not know what will happen to these devices post 19th August. If @Chris_K can confirm that then it would be much relief to current owners. Right now the advice is pointing to no more patches and the potential of services that may no longer work after that date. That basically means we are paying £900 for a dead duck, and not what was sold to us at the point of contract. Seems to me to be a material breach of contract at this point. I for one can see a class action starting up and its only a matter of time before someone takes aim at either the networks, Huawei or Google for not delivering the product as advertised at the point of sale. Wouldn't be shocked to see complaints using the consumer rights act along the lines of the product not lasting a reasonable amount of time as well. This phone has been nothing but the bain of my life. Between this and the nightmare I had getting the green screen issue sorted on my mate 20 pro, my trust in O2 customer service is at an all time low after many years of service.
Message 37 of 50

snukems
  • 17 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have already contacted watchdog about this aswell myself and will definitely look into court action because o2 honestly dont seem to care
Message 38 of 50

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Against who?
Message 39 of 50

jcf224
  • 14 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
O2 & Vodafone earlier had dropped the trade in to £0. Now on O2 recycle P30 Pro is no longer listed to trade in anyway. Looks like it has been taken off quite a few trade in sites as well. Couldn't see it on EE or Three trade in either. So there must be a reasonable case for those with a device plan to have payments waived/ceased or at the very least reduced considerably for those left in this position with is what appears to be a valueless device. If it is rated with no value, then it has no value for customers and they should not be paying for something that again has no value. Contract or not there must be a clause to get people out of paying for this handset or for having to pay full price going forward.
Message 40 of 50