Did you mean: 

Get behind Earth Hour this weekend!

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions
55842726_427933721295272_855506126144274432_n.jpg

Earth Hour is the world's largest grassroots movement for the environment, inspiring millions of people to take action for our planet and nature. It started as a lights-off event in Sydney, Australia in 2007 and has now grown with more than 7,000 cities and towns across 187 countries taking part. Each year, hundreds of millions of people around the world switch off their lights and organise events - at home, in their community or in their towns or cities - to show they care about the future of our planet.

This year Earth Hour is taking place on Saturday 30th March from 8:30 to 9:30pm. Described as a 'symbolic and spectacular lights out display with a big message - 'we want to protect the future of our planet!', with last year’s Earth Hour seeing over 10 million people across the UK showing they care about our beautiful planet.

Here at O2, we are also playing our part! Our Bath Road head office, and other office sites where we are the landlord, will switch off all non-essential lighting and kit at 8:30pm on Saturday. Our retail stores have also been asked to take part and switch off any non-essential lighting, heating and electrical items.

So, this Earth Hour we want you to play your part in saving the planet by switching off too. You can see all the latest information on the official Earth Hour website at www.earthhour.org and also make a pledge.

What will you be switching off this Earth Hour at home and at work? Please let us know in the comments below.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25018 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Chris_K 

Thank you so much for making us aware of this. Although I try to do my part for the environment and have always had a deep concern for the way the planet is misused and abused to the detriment of the creatures with which we share it, I admit I did not know of this until your post.

I will do my small part in my little home and will turn off lights and electrical appliances during the period.

As it was once said, those who are not part of the solution are part of the problem.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for posting @Chris_K 

I have made my pledge and am also a member of WWF.

As the slogan says 'We are the only generation to know we are destroying our planet and the only generation who can do something about it'....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Thanks for posting @Chris_K as I'd no idea about this event.

I'll certainly do my part by switching off all my lights electrical appliances this evening.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 10

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10668 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Sure I will make this "gesture"

but it needs "a little every day" no need for

big gestures ~ Thoughful

I never leave unnecessary lights or equipment on.

Everything is "light use" with low energy equipment.

I will switch off my low energy light, my low energy TV

Then watch the Middle East glow from my window!cry

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It will be interesting to see the stats published by the National Grid in relation to that hour.

Message 6 of 10

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Great job everyone who done their little part during Earth Hour, and anything you do even on a daily basis. Personally, some things I try to be conscious of in everyday life:

• When buying bulbs, I buy the most energy efficient ones possible - even if it means being a bit more expensive
  • If there's no need for a light or appliance to be on, it's getting turned off 
  • When buying new home appliances, i'll only buy the best energy rated products where possible

It's not much, but I hope it helps contribute and I do want to identify other ways of 'doing my part'. Anyone else got anything they do 'religiously' to help the world and the environment?

Message 7 of 10

TallTrees
  • 10668 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Yes @Chris_K 

I always switch everything off at the mains plug never have anything on Standby.

Never leave unnecessary lights on in evening  ~  I use small LED plug in night light ~ 

switch them on when dark and they go off auto.  to see around at night so

I don't fall down anywhere they are under 1watt of usage these are very nice.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 10

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Yes @Chris_K 

I always switch everything off at the mains plug never have anything on Standby.

Never leave unnecessary lights on in evening  ~  I use small LED plug in night light ~ 

switch them on when dark and they go off auto.  to see around at night so

I don't fall down anywhere they are under 1watt of usage these are very nice.

Good shout - I forgot about that one, but I've got a couple of 'Eufy Lumi Night Lights' (on Amazon if you want a pack - about £12-15) powered by couple of batteries that seem to last forever stuck around my flat. One in hallway, one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen... They've got motion sensors built-in with a single tiny LED that activates when it detects motion - only if it's dark. That way if I need to get up at night for the loo or get some water, it's as energy efficient as possible.

Message 9 of 10

TallTrees
  • 10668 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Thanks for the information @Chris_K ~ these sound great.

I have had night lights for a very long time but

haven't looked for the new options ~ battery is good

they are very efficient now.  I have door bell battery ~

I have battery cleaner too very efficient and turns

off auto when charged for next clean. 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 10 of 10