Did you mean: 

Emergency Alert Test: Sunday 23rd April at 3pm

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

502311_National_EmergencyAlerts_Date_Static_1920x1080 hr.jpg

Emergency Alerts is a new government service that will warn you if there is a danger to life nearby (e.g. flooding, fire).  In an emergency, mobile phone masts will broadcast an alert in the affected area.  The alert will automatically be received by compatible mobile phones and tablets in the area and will give advice about how to stay safe.

On Sunday 23rd April at 3pm the government will be sending a UK-wide Emergency Alerts test message to all compatible devices.  The message will make clear that no action is required, that the message is simply a test and will provide a link where you can find further information on the Emergency Alerts service.

When you receive the message, your phone or tablet may vibrate and make a loud siren-like sound for about ten seconds, even if it is set on ‘silent’. The message will appear on your screen.

You can opt out of receiving Emergency Alerts by adjusting your device settings, though the government advice is to keep them switched on for your own safety.

Emergency Alerts work on all 4G and 5G mobile networks in the UK. Emergency Alerts can only be sent by the emergency services and by government departments that deal with emergencies.  They do not need your phone number to send you an alert – if your device is compatible, it will automatically receive the message.  Data about you, your device or location will not be collected or shared.

You will not receive Emergency Alerts if your device is switched off, on airplane mode or connected to a 2G or 3G network.

Useful Links & Info

• More information on Emergency Alerts can be found at gov.uk/alerts.
  • We have more information on our website around how emergency alerts work, when you'll receive them, as well as some Q&A's
  • See the videos below showing what the alert will look and sound like, as well as an explainer video from the Government

Here's an explainer video from the UK Gov explaining more and how the technology works

Here's what the alert will look and sound like

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

CDJ7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

An excellent idea if it actually worked. 4 of us, all on o2 network, only 1 person received the alert, with emergency alerts switched on the phones. Not old phones either. Rubbish. Was connected to virgin media WiFi also, Still nothing. 

Message 21 of 41

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10939 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3125 Solutions

Just been on all the other network communities, and seems to be a lot of people who didn't receive it..  

It does make me think it was a A or B test...

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 22 of 41

madasaf1sh
  • 10939 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3125 Solutions

Just seen this on Twitter, seems to be you phone has to be scanning for it, and you have to be on 4G or 5G 

madasaf1sh_0-1682272017854.png

Thread Link https://twitter.com/davwheat_/status/1650149573313085441 

--
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
Message 23 of 41

Davew78
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Didn't receive the emergency alert on my Poco X3 Pro phone running android 12

Message 24 of 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124848 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7535 Solutions

I got it on my Note 10. In fact it came in one minute early

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 41

OTWO-SNOOZER
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

SAME HERE!  HOW MANY O2 SIM USERS DIDN'T GET THE 3 BEEPS?

Message 26 of 41

OTWO-SNOOZER
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 & THREE SIMS USERS SEEMS TO BE THE ONLY SIM USERS THAT DIDN'T GET THE 3 EMERGENCY BEEPS TODAY! ALL EE USERS APPARENTLY GOT THEM!
O2 NEEDS TO INVESTIGATE THIS AND CONTACT ITS CUSTOMERS ASAP WHY WE DIDN'T GET THE BEEPS!

Message 27 of 41

madasaf1sh
  • 10939 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3125 Solutions

No need to shout @OTWO-SNOOZER 

It also affected EE, Vodafone, and lots of other MVNO's, If you look at Twitter and other networks communities, you will find your comment to be wrong.

O2 doesn't need to do anything, it was a test run by the Cabinet Office, to test how it works, and how IT can mitigate failures. 

Testing isn't meant to be 100% perfect, and Cell Broadcast isnt a failure free method of sending messages as it relies on YOUR phone scanning for a specific type of message and then for a subsequent message from the Mast / Network..  and I have feeling as I have said previously, it wasnt sent to every single device...

When you are trying to target millions of devices, it is never going to be a 100% hit rate..

--
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
Message 28 of 41

Bib_D48
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

4 people in our house with mobiles at 3pm on 23rd. One went at 1459, one at 1504, the other two didn’t trigger an alert. Mine is a Huawei PSmart running Android 9 and connected to O2.  Can’t see a 5G, 4G or even 3G indication which might be the problem…..

Message 29 of 41

madasaf1sh
  • 10939 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3125 Solutions

@Bib_D48 

Your phone doesn't support the Alerts, as its Android 11 and upwards only, and they only work when your phone has a 4G or 5G connection.

--
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
Message 30 of 41