cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could you be part of the O2-NSPCC Parent Advisory Board?

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

We have a great new initiative working with the NSPCC and thought it would be good to share some info.

We’re looking for parents or carers of children aged 8-16, who are passionate about technology and making the online world a safer place to be part of our O2-NSPCC Parent Advisory Board. With 500 parents at its heart, the Parent Advisory Board will empower other parents to have great conversations with their children about online safety. The Parent Advisory Board will do this by contributing to Net Aware; a no-nonsense online tool on the social networking sites and apps that children use, which was launched by the NSPCC in January 2015.

Take a look at our article on The Blue for more details!

Are you interested in taking part? How do you make sure your family stays safe online? Feel free to share your tips  and interest below slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122377 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I just want to say something here @Toby. I think O2 have missed a trick by only inviting a select group of people to participate in this group.. I am no longer a parent of a child age 8-16years....but I have been. Now I have grandchildren age 4 and 16 years of age. I have spent a great deal of time protecting my eldest grandchild and ensuring his safety online. I intend to do the same with the 4 year old who already has access to laptops and tablets. My sons accept that I have an important role to play

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Cleoriff,

A valid point and one that I'll share with the team. Aside from that, what do you think of the idea behind the project?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122377 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think it's an excellent initiative Toby. There will be many parents who presume they don't need advice on how to ensure their childrens safety online. I wouldn't be part of that group. I would rather have too much information available than too little. Two days ago we saw the death of an unsuspecting young Midlands girl who was groomed online and then went on to meet the people who killed her. Every parents nightmare. Online bullying is rampant on social media sites and affects so many of our children. I could go on but wont. I just have very strong feelings about the protection of children (and young adults) I am sure we all feel the same.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 92926 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The adult site verification process just doesn't go far enough. My son has had a problem with my granson being bullied online. I can't be there for him and it grieves me so much. Grandparents are a big part of children's lives and we should be involved

Thank God my son has been able to sort it out but the older generation have so much to offer.

Message 5 of 5