Community spotlight: Mi-Amigo

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Community spotlight banner.jpg

Hey everyone, 

It's time for another community spotlight! Today's spotlight is on @Mi-Amigo  who is a recent addition to the O2 community, joining back in February of this year he's already settled in as one of our regular members so it's a great time to get to know him a little better. smiling

We asked @Mi-Amigo a few questions which he's kindly answered below! 

What’s your name and where are you from?

Mi-Amigo. Real name Steve, or to those who don`t know that - "that long-haired hippy" slight smile

I now live in the West Midlands. I was born in Leceistershire; moved with my parents to near Brighton when I was four; then to across the Mersey from Liverpool when I was 10 [and lived round the corner from where Paul McCartney later bought his Dad a house]; moved to Slough [then home to Mars chocolate] when I was 12; moved to Stratford-upon-Avon when I was 16 and went to Shakespeare`s school [he sat behind me and copied my work, I`ve never forgiven him wink]; left home and moved to Birmingham.

Why did you join and stay in the O2 Community?

I went to the 02 shop where I lived and got a monthly contract and dongle for my laptop, Everything was fine but when I looked at My02 noticed I was being changed for unsolicited services I hadn`t signed up to. Looked at the Community, saw advice - and, no didn`t use the search box - and contacted 02 accounts via chat. Got exceptionally helpful assistance.

As I have been a member of various forums in the past I know how they work, so joined and posted my experience. Got nice, welcoming feedback, so decided to look around and posted a couple of comments. In all seriousness, in my experiences with forums and having been admin to two, I have never known a forum - no wrong word - Community where I was made so welcome and a part of it - from member who have been here for years.

Why do I stay? Because of the camaraderie, the exchange of ideas, having the opportunity to put forward ideas without admin stamping all over it. I will openly say that @Martin-O2, @Marjo and @EmilieT do an excellent job and should be thanked for the way they manage this and are willing to join in and comment on posts, and put up with the jokes.

In a nutshell? I stay because its fun, I like to think that some of those I`ve met on here are like friends and the Community helps me cope with any day-to-day problems I may have. 

What was your first mobile phone and which phone do you currently have?

My first mobile? One of the early housebricks [thnk of DelBoy in Only Fools & Horses]. I worked for BT as Business Centre Manager and got given one for work. 

Current phone? A ten-year old Nokio. I don`t do tech.

A smart phone would be a nightmare for me, so I`ve kept the old pay-as-you-go and buy top-ups as and when I need one. I only use it to make calls - T don`t/can`t text frowning2 and text-speak is a big no no to me.

Favourite movie/TV show/actor?

Favourite movie actors? Alec Guinness; Anthony Hopkins; Tom Hanks

Favourite TV show actors? David Jason; Sheriden Smith

Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?

Seasons? Spring - when flowers come into bud, new born animals are born; Summer because I loe warm weather and hate the wind and cold.

Favourite movie / TV show / game?

Favourite movie? Easiest question so far - Passport To Pimlico [old b&w Ealing comedy] by a mile; second? Sleepless In Seattle; third? The Omen [the original - I hate remakes - sacred the hell out of me when I first saw it]

Favourite TV show? any Carla Lance classic [Bread, Butterflies, Liver Birds]; The Prisoner [60s cult drama]; Midsomer Murders

Favourite game? don`t have any modern games or gaming system. Had Sega Megadrive and loved Sonic The Hedgehog

Which movies have you watched way too many times?

Watched too many times? Some have and probably would argue I`ve seen Passport To Pimlico too many times but in book you can`t have too much of a good thing

What sound or sound do you love?

Sounds? The sea - gentle waves lapping the shore, full crashing waves - doesn`t matter - love it; the calls of animals - the sound of whales, the roar of a lion, the purr of a cat.... the list goes on.

Which famous person (living or dead) would you like have a conversation with and why?

Famous persons? Now this is difficult. I have been fortunate to have met quite a few famous people. But I`d loved to have met John Lennon. To me, the guy was a genius.

People couldn`t get him. I`ve read so much about his influences - writers, muscians - and would ask him about that. My other choice would be Ghandi. I`d love to know how he coped with the adverse reaction he experienced and yet kept calm and continued in his civil disobedience - one of my heros.

What would you do if you ever won the lottery?

Lottery? I never do the lottery. If I did win a sizable about of money, I`d make donations to Macmillan Cancer Care, The Dogs Trust, Whale & Dolphin Conservation, the homeless hostel I was in, buy a scope machine for the hospital ward I was in and who saved my life.

Any future developments in mobile tech you’re looking forward to?

Mobile tech? Sorry doesn't float my boat. I`m a complete technophobe. But can understand those who are. I was enthusiastic about citizens band radio and the equipment - even though I didn`t understand the techy spec.

What do you like to do in your spare time, besides hanging out with us around the Community?

Not Community? Listening to vinyl records - especially The Beatles [no surprise], Macca, Bruce Sprngsteen; reading - history [not novels but true history], true crime; and I am currently writing a book. 

Great spotlight Mi-Amigo! Thanks for telling us a bit about yourself and if anyone has any follow up questions feel free to ask. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Just to move this back to the spotlight tongue_winking, it's interesting to see how much you moved about when you were younger @Mi-Amigo 

Was that to do with your parents work, if you don't mind me asking?

Don`t mind at all @Cleoriff .

My dad was a workaholic and lecturer. Any chance of promotion and he took it, even if it meant moving the family around the country. He so wanted me to follow in his footsteps - be head boy at school, go to University, become Vice Chancellor. I was such a disappointment...

Apart from the ref to parents being Americans, this pretty sums up me in my youth... slight_smile

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 21 of 37

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Lovely to know a bit more about you @Mi-Amigo ... thank you for bringing your sense of humour to the community ... & ... I love your quizzes smiling

Thank you @Anonymous - so glad you enjoy the quizzes.

As for my sense of humour? Way too much listening and watching The Goons, Spike Milligan [another genius in my book who I actually met], Kenny Everett, and Dave Allen - so yeh I `m a bit of a nutter Bouncy

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 22 of 37

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Wow! Fantastic

You forgot the bit about being related to Nicholas Parsons... or perhaps it's Jack Dee? LOL

@pgn  ^^^^^ Wot? Don't know Didn`t Nicholas do The Price`s Right?

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 23 of 37

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Nicholas Parsons also played the Narrator in the onstage version of The Rocky Horror Show...(one of my favourite musicals Bouncy)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 37

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@pgn wrote:

Wow! Fantastic

You forgot the bit about being related to Nicholas Parsons... or perhaps it's Jack Dee? LOL

Sale of The Century, actually, on Anglia TV.  Aged 95, he still chairs the radio quiz "Just A Minute" on BBC R4, @Mi-Amigo.

Both he and Jack Dee have the tricky task of dealing with argumentative panellists on the respective quiz that each chairs... it was a kinda compliment wink

Message 25 of 37

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Nicholas Parsons also played the Narrator in the onstage version of The Rocky Horror Show...(one of my favourite musicals Bouncy)

I hadn't had you down as a Janet, @Cleoriff rofl

Now perhaps as a Dr. Frank N. Furter, well... LOL

Message 26 of 37

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thans @Cleoriff 

To be honest, despite my love of music, I`m not into musicals and must be one of the few people on the planet who has never see Les Mis nor wants to... but do like Rock Operas inc Tommy and Quadraphenia.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 27 of 37

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@pgn wrote:

Wow! Fantastic

Sale of The Century, actually, on Anglia TV.  Aged 95, he still chairs the radio quiz "Just A Minute" on BBC R4, @Mi-Amigo.

Both he and Jack Dee have the tricky task of dealing with argumentative panellists on the respective quiz that each chairs... it was a kinda compliment wink

Wow I didn`t know that @pgn - that is way more than a compliment - thank you. And yes I can be argumentative but not with any of you guys here on the Community.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 28 of 37

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I hadn't had you down as a Janet, @Cleoriff rofl

Now perhaps as a Dr. Frank N. Furter, well... LOL

No...that role usually went to my other half when we travelled with a few friends to see the show(s) @pgn 

My dress up was Magenta...(and the less said about that the better) Jaw-dropping Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 37

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Thans @Cleoriff 

To be honest, despite my love of music, I`m not into musicals and must be one of the few people on the planet who has never see Les Mis nor wants to... but do like Rock Operas inc Tommy and Quadraphenia.

I have never seen Les Mis either @Mi-Amigo 

The musicals I have been to are Hair, The Buddy Holly story, We Will Rock You and the Rocky Horror Show.

I missed out on The Lion King...I would have loved that. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 37