Did you mean: 

Community Spotlight: Sheepdog

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Happy Friday everyone! 

To end this week, we have a little treat for you: the first community spotlight of 2019, which will be focusing on ... Drum

Screenshot 2019-02-22 at 10.10.48.png

He's been a member for a very long time now, but is one of the few regulars who hadn't gone under the spotlight yet; better late than never! He answered a few of our questions to help you guys get to know him better but you can ask him some more in the comments if you're curious about anything further. wink

What’s your name and where are you from?

Sheepdog. Otherwise known as “oi you” , “move it mate" and more the commonly known “Paul”. Currently living on Anglesey though not originally from there or anywhere in particular having moved around a lot over the years.

What's the story behind your username?

A strange obsession with herding sheepdogs at the time. It's now cats but sadly, herding cats is a rather obscure past-time. I own neither before you ask.

What brought you to the forum?

Can’t remember why but I do recall the forum opening up in 2008 and I joined somewhere around June I think, Might have been before that. Ah you may be wondering why my current registered time is showing October 2010? Well thats the result of the infamous Mod14 being over-zealous with moderating everything and everybody. Short story, Mod14 deleted my original account over a link for Crackberry and lives on in spirit as the long running in-joke of the forum.

What do you like most about the Community?

It's one of the few forums that is lightly moderated - even with negativity - and users aren’t made to feel unwelcome unless it's their intention. It's not boring either with the subject matter and the Community Managers get involved which is a bonus.

What would you do if you ever won the lottery?

I have won the lottery. On my birthday of all things, 20 years ago. Granted it was a mere 4 balls and resulted in £65 at the time but a win is a win. Played it once or twice after that but generally it's a rip-off so don't bother with it.

Do you have any resolutions for this New Year?

I made a list on January 1st to play the keyboard and progress on the guitar. So far, not exactly keeping up with that and it's been a bit slow in progress. There’s another list of computer related things I want to learn which has completely changed since January! That and actually clear my Netflix list completely.

What would your ideal cake be like?

Not that keen on cake to be honest. Ice cream is more my thing though I have done a rather good Ice-box cake.

Apple, Android or Windows? Apple. Moved to an iPhone 5S a couple of years ago after getting really fed up of yet another app daily update breaking the user interface on Android. I still use my two Android phones, one for a VOIP phone as a landline replacement and the other a Chromecast controller/backup phone. Does Windows Mobile 6 edition count? I really loved my XDA Zest from years ago and still works. 

If you had to watch a TV Show or a movie in a loop forever, which one would you pick?

Every time I go into the main room, it seems stuck on ITV3 and Midsomer Murders. Back to the question, it would probably be Star Trek (all of them) as the stories are more or less self-contained without being too heavy. STD (Discovery) would be the reminder that I’m stuck in a never-ending loop.

Which future development in tech are you looking forward to?

I’m more retro these days so whatever new tech arrives, it can wait. I am interested in seeing the phasing in of electric vehicles and how they can match the current combustion engine performance and range.

Any hobbies besides the Community?

There’s a cupboard full of small board computers and components just waiting for my time to assemble into something pointless. I have a thing for retro-computing books and there’s three shelves worth of the era I’ve yet to sit down and read. Reminds me, I do have a project to build a retro gaming system from the cupboard of components at some point. That’s not including the various bits and pieces for music I have around (thats both instruments and PA), music tech, photography, computer bits, wirebinding/crafting hobbies that are ahem, stored for later.

That was really fun, thanks again @sheepdog for your answers!

Feel free to say hi or ask any follow-up questions in the comments, and have a lovely weekend everyone. sun

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@sheepdog Good to see yet another good spotlight 

a few of the old timers still here lol 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 21 of 22

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Loved the summary of the MOD14 "incident" - had to look that up to understand it but still amusing!
Did you ever consider the modular phone phase that was floating around a few years ago?

@gmarkj completely missed this one earlier due to work interuptions and replying to others so my apologies. 

I was interested in the modular concept but it didn't seem that available to buy from anywhere. Shame as it still has merit. Oh hang on, you've just reminded me I've got Rephone kit somewhere in my cupboard that seems a worthy project to add to my list.

Message 22 of 22