Did you mean: 

Community Spotlight: AnnieM

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Happy Friday everyone! ☀️

It's a great ending to the week as we have a new Spotlight to show you today! yahoo

You might have spotted this community member around in various topics on the Community, especially in the Priority and Off Topic boards during the past month or so. It has been awesome to be able to ask a few questions below to get to know her better.

I hope you all enjoy this spotlight as much as I enjoyed preparing it! As always, don't hesitate to ask any of your own questions too. slight_smile

Spotlight: AnnieM

What’s your name and where are you from?

Hello. I'm Annie and I live in a tiny village in Leicestershire. 

Why did you join and stay on the O2 Community?

I like forums but haven't really been on any for a while. I've been to the Community a couple of times to look things up and one day just decided to join in! It's much friendlier than many forums I've been on over the years and I like the word games, particularly the Word Diamond games.

What are your favourite snacks?

Salted crisps. Or Crunchy Nut Cornflakes without the milk. 

Do you have any pets?

I have a cat. Typical of the tortoiseshell breed, she's nuts. 

Which famous person (living or dead) would you like to have a conversation with?

Can I only pick one? I'd like to hang out with the Impressionist painters in 19th century France. Some of my favourite paintings are from the Impressionists, who were amongst the first painters to have the luxury of premixed paints rather than having to make their own, so it would be interesting to chat about their opinions on these new paints and about the controversy that their work created in its time.

What do you do in your spare time when you're not on the O2 community?

My Kindle is probably my best value-for-money purchase ever as I read a lot. I also like to play Xbox, paint portraits and listen to music. 

What do you like to watch on TV?

Police prodedural/crime solving type dramas are my favourites and I love the Scandinavian ones. I also enjoy art programmes, both documentaries and competitions such as the Portrait/Landscape Artist of the Year. And I'm a big Walking Dead fan. 

Tea, coffee or hot chocolate?

All of them! Coffee at work, Earl Grey tea at home and a hot chocolate in the evening. I could take any of them in a cafe situation, depending on if and what I am eating. 

Which time of the year (summer, autumn, winter, spring) do you love most and why?

Autumn is my favourite. I don't like too much sun, nor do I like deep winter, but the inbetween, when it's starting to chill, can feel cosy and comforting (and perfect for an evening hot chocolate laughing ). The colours that trees produce during the autumn are wonderful; it's a very pretty season. 

What mobile phone are you currently using and what do you like about it?

I used to be a bit of a phone geek and went through a a few 'classics': several Nokias including the 7600, 8110, N95, 7610; Motorola Razr V3 in hot pink; a Sony Ericsson K750i and W810i; a Sharp GX30 ...

Today, I have a Samsung S10e. Having used recent editions of Android OS and iOS, I prefer Android but can't really say why. My last couple of phones have also been Samsung and they've been the first models I have found to really last the length of a contract without feeling like they were worn out or dated and left me counting down to upgrade time. I'm all for reliability over funky designs these days. 

Thanks a lot for answering our questions @AnnieM ! Awesome to know a bit more about you and hope to keep seeing you around on the community. slight_smile

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @AnnieM smiling

A very nice Spotlight

I used to live in a small village in Leicestershire ... = ... Fleckney, half-way between Leicester & Market Harborough

I too have a cat, ginger / white Marty ... he's my best friend *winks* currently fast asleep on my bed in a patch of sunshine Cat Very Happy

Interesting about your love of the Impressionist painters - do you have a portrait of your cat ?

Your favourite season is Autumn ... I'm the same, for the crispness in the air & the colours in the landscape

Message 11 of 35

AnnieM
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 114 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Wow, thank you for all the comments! I’ll respond to you individually in a little while. 

Message 12 of 35

AnnieM
  • 114 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you, @Marjo

@Cleoriff - thank you. Yes, not too far from Nuneaton. I actually lived there myself for a short while a few years ago. 

Your cats sound lovely. I keep thinking about getting a sibling for ours but she’s always fighting with all of the other cats in the village (I’m that person with the cat that needs an ASBO) so not sure how she’d take it! I’ve only introduced a second cat to fairly chilled out ones in the past. I’m sure I’ll get one soon, though. 

I am still working, running an office (well, it’s just me in there doing my own thing for the guys who do all the manual stuff).

@Mi-Amigo- yes, I’m definitely a keen reader and always have been. Mostly I go for crime/procedural type stuff, same as my TV preferences. I like to read new authors too, rather than sticking to the big names. 

@liggerz87 - good to meet a fellow Xboxer! What do you play? I’m currently on Blair Witch and Cities Skylines, with Vampyr queued up for when I’m done with Blair Witch. 

@Anonymous - I know of Fleckney. I’m not too far from there and do like to go into Market Harborough. No portraits of the cat to show, I’m afraid. I prefer to paint people. Are you also interested in art?

And hello to @JAZZ-trad@MI5@BobM@pgn@jonsie@TallTrees - all names I recognise from around the forum. See you in the word games laughing

Message 13 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @AnnieM smiling

I used to go into Leicester and Market Harborough using the hopper buses, exploring both places with interest with initially my young toddler son in the buggy ... thereafter on my own when he was in nursery ... I didn't know then that Leicester has a magnificient cathedral otherwise I would have enjoyed a look around

As regards Art ... always loved drawing and crayoning since a little kid ... but, not really painting as I was always way too messy ... I didn't like it when the colours all ran into each other creating something that was really nothing much LOL

Having said that I have artwork from Infant and Junior school in an old art folder ... at Senior school I took 3D Art to A level. Working with clay, plaster of Paris, wood & paper ... I was in my own world happy concentrating on what I was trying to create

I have lost dexterity in my hands so I do not much at all these days ... maybe I shall get out my little tin of watercolours and do some daubs and they will be daubs semi-abstract style ... I like landscape pictures and do like The Impressionists the best for their style ... I'm useless with faces ... have my figure drawings and clay models at the back of some large cupboards in my room

Do you have artwork displayed in your home @AnnieM ? ... I have a print of The Waltzers by Jack Vettriano, for my 60th birthday in my living room

Waltzers by Jack Vettriano

There are various attempts at glazed pottery around my home with the likes of shells / cones / conkers / pebbles in them

I live in Skipton, North Yorkshire and sadly the days of Night School have long gone ... showing I'm an oldie now LOL

Lovely to hear more about you @AnnieM 

Message 14 of 35

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Cool I play all sorts my gsmertag is same as here if you want to ad me I have vampire aswel not completed it haha
Message 15 of 35

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for taking part in the spotlight @AnnieM! It was great finding out a bit more about you. smiling As a fellow cat owner I'd love to see a picture of your moggy! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 16 of 35

AnnieM
  • 114 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous 

It’s nice to hear about your interest in art. I never really got in to 3D other than the compulsory elements at art college. I started painting in oil as a youngster and used to draw a lot, but prefer to work acrylic these days. I also still have a few things by my younger self. It’s odd to look back on it! 

The only work I have hanging in the house by a ‘big name’ painter is a large print of Monet’s Poppy Field. I like little odd prints and paintings picked up cheaply from antique and charity shops. 

You should get your paints out again. Don’t worry too much about what’s coming out, just enjoy the colours!

Message 17 of 35

AnnieM
  • 114 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@liggerz87 - I’ll try and remember to look you up next time I’m online laughing

Message 18 of 35

AnnieM
  • 114 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Martin-O2 - this is she...

Cat.jpeg

Message 19 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnnieM wrote:

@Anonymous 

It’s nice to hear about your interest in art. I never really got in to 3D other than the compulsory elements at art college. I started painting in oil as a youngster and used to draw a lot, but prefer to work acrylic these days. I also still have a few things by my younger self. It’s odd to look back on it! 

The only work I have hanging in the house by a ‘big name’ painter is a large print of Monet’s Poppy Field. I like little odd prints and paintings picked up cheaply from antique and charity shops. 

You should get your paints out again. Don’t worry too much about what’s coming out, just enjoy the colours!

Thank you for your encouragement @AnnieM 

Monet's Poppy Field ... superb painting for a large print

Sorry can't seem to get a larger image of the painting to post

Image result for most famous monet paintings

I can remember this as a print in my mum & dad's home in another different part of Yorkshire  

I've always liked Monet's style

Van Gogh's 'Irises' was my choice to have a piece of famous artwork in my home ... this was an old thread in Off-Topic ... = ... something like 'Ask a Question, Answer a Question'

Sorry can't seem to get an image of 'Irises' to post

The next thing @AnnieM is to hunt through my workroom to try to find the tin of watercolours LOL

Message 20 of 35