Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chat Messaging (RCS), now available on Samsung S10

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey everyone, we have some great news today!

O2 has launched a new messaging service for Samsung users, called “Chat Messaging”. This will initially be available to the Samsung S10 range before a wider release to more devices in the coming months. Chat Messaging will give customers access to the latest in messaging technology.

You may see this called Rich Communication Services (RCS for short) which is the industry name for the service, however O2’s branding of this technology will be Chat Messaging.

How it works
Think of Chat Messaging as being a bit like iMessage. It has the functionality to be able to send/receive media such as group messages, pictures, voice and video clips between other Chat Messaging users. You can even share files up to 100mb, compared to the 300kb that MMS allows.

Just like when using iMessage, messages will be sent over data and will use customer’s data allowance or wifi when available. If a customer doesn’t have any data allowance or can’t use wifi, the message will revert to an SMS or MMS message depending on the content. This will be visible to customers by the Chat or SMS/MMS icon.

Customers will be able to self-manage Chat Messaging via the O2 website where you’ll also find supporting FAQs (also copied below in this thread for your convenience)

How companies will be able to use Chat Messaging
Like on SMS today, companies can communicate with their customers via Chat Messaging and vice versa. For example, a company could send a message about an item that needs to be collected or your energy company might send you a reminder for a meter reading.

For companies to do this, customers would have previously given them their number and permission to do so. Any issues or queries related to these types of brand messages should be directed to the company who sent the message(s).

How to set up Chat Messaging

From launch, O2 will enable the Chat Messaging service for customers who use a Samsung S10 device with the latest O2 software update and who also use the Samsung messaging app. These customers will be enabled via a software upgrade pushed out by Samsung, which you should see available to install from today. We should note that this is part of a staggered rollout which may take up to 5 weeks or longer to complete, so if you qualify (S10 range of devices, O2 software, using Samsung Messages), then you may not see it available for a number of weeks.

To use Chat, customers must accept the T&Cs on O2.co.uk under Products & Services > Chat Messaging, and this is the message customers will receive within the Samsung Messages app when they set up Chat:

You can now send and receive Chat Messages using data or wifi – if those aren’t available it reverts to SMS/MMS.

By continuing you agree to the service’s terms or click < to skip for now.

If customers don’t want to use the Chat Messaging service, they can disable the Chat Features from their handset settings by opening the Samsung Messages app > Settings > Rich Communication settings > Toggle ‘off’.

Chat Messaging FAQ’s
We’ve been testing Chat Messaging for a long time now and while we don’t expect there to be any major issues, this is a brand new launch and it’s possible you may encounter the odd issue or two, so please do let us know if you run into any of these. Please also find the FAQ’s below which may help you with any possible issues. If we notice any wider issues during the initial launch period, we’ll notify you on this thread.

FAQ’s here

Early Launch Limitations

One thing we do wish to highlight is that during this early launch period, Chat Messaging will only be possible between RCS users on O2 with a Chat Messaging enabled Samsung device and those on the Vodafone network. Any RCS message sent to customers on any other network will revert to MMS/SMS. We are working with Google to ensure that you will also be able to chat with people using the Google Messaging app in the coming months, so check back here for updates.

Got a Samsung S10 and been waiting for Chat Messaging to arrive? Let us know how you get on and what you think about the new messaging service.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

Wanted to let you know that this week we have added a few new Samsung devices to our official compatibility list. These are: Galaxy S20, Galaxy Z Flip and the new Galaxy A12... Just make sure you're on the latest available O2 firmware for them slight_smile

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 2 of 5

Usman
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi the Gurus! I switched my number from Vodafone and I was able to use Chat service using Samsung messaging app. When o2 sent me their sim it worked well aswell. A plugin appeared on my phone, I accepted the terms and conditions and it worked like a charm. After O2 ported over my old number from Vodafone and thats when the Chat service (RCS) stopped working.
Customer services have no idea about what I'm talking about, the Chat agents don't know why it's not working. Once been transferred to Samsung agent via O2 customer services and they haven't got any idea why its not working. Any ideas who would know and get me to a solution?
Message 3 of 5

tomparis
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the same problem

Message 4 of 5

Usman
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
What a blatant lie this is. I had an O2 customer services rep call up after days of chasing up to say that Samsung s10 devices are not supported. To get RCS, I should update to a new phone. Strange enough, it worked perfectly on my Vodafone connection.
Message 5 of 5