Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus & iPhone X Megathread

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

O2 will offer Apple’s latest products starting on 22nd September 2017, including the new generation iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. Customers will be able to pre-order iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus beginning 15th September at www.o2.co.uk/iphone, in store, voice and online, with iPhone X pre-order beginning Friday 27th October

iPhone 8
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone X
bau-35253-iphone-8-product-build-gold-sku-header-master-120917.png
bau-35251-iphone-8-plus-space-grey-sku-header-master-130917.png
iphone-x-space-grey-sku-header.png

Questions?
We expect there will be many questions ranging from student discount, to unlocking, to yearly upgrades and everything in-between. See our extensive Q&A section immediately under this post, and let us know if there's anything missing you think we should mention there.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,685
1,684 REPLIES 1,684

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
But if there is EE exclusivity then what could O2 do ?

Blame Apple for negotiating the deal !!
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 71 of 1,685

Ccedinburgh
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes - that's fair enough. I guess O2 will need to think of something special to keep us tongue_winking

More info

Message 72 of 1,685

PiedPiper
  • 98 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Ccedinburgh wrote:

Yes - that's fair enough. I guess O2 will need to think of something special to keep us tongue_winking

More info

I don't think you need to worry about O2. How many customers have O2 got? How many of them will want/manage to get hold of a Watch 3 and are prepared to move to EE? My guess is that although this may be incredibly annoying to those that must have the Watch, to O2 it's a tiny proportion that will make no significant difference.

Message 73 of 1,685

mavericke
  • 83 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@PiedPiper

I agree. I don't think there is a need to start panicking at this moment. I don't think that O2 should worry too much as well. O2 has a trump card - best customer service for the past few years. Moreover, their Refresh Deals are ever so popular so I don't think there is a need to worry. 

However, there is a need of O2's Power-to-be to think about some innovative deals. Their plan of persuading customers to sign on their new iphone deals are quite good though - If you sign up for the new iphone 8 / 8 plus on the 20GB data deal and above, they will provide one free screen replacement, free 10GB of data and yearly upgrade. With that deal, it is a good deal but I think O2 has increased its tariff - I'm on the 30GB data deal two years ago and it cost the same price as the 20GB deal on the new iphone 8/ 8 plus deal from O2.

Message 74 of 1,685

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all, I've just updated post #2 of the thread to include a detailed Q&A section. If you have any questions that aren't answered there, but think it should be, feel free to let us know here.

iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X & more Q&A's

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 75 of 1,685

Mitch1984
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Does anyone know if you can pay the initial £79.99 up front, followed by another large payment up front to get the monthly cost down?

Message 76 of 1,685

mavericke
  • 83 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Mitch1984

Yes, you could do so. You just need to call o2 customer service. I've done that before.

Message 77 of 1,685

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Mitch1984

Hopefully, @mavericke and @Chris_K answers help you! 

@Chris_K wrote:
Upgrade Info
Q. What if I want to upgrade earlier than my yearly upgrade date?
A. This is possible thanks to the power of O2 Refresh. With O2 Refresh, you can upgrade at any time by simply paying off the remainder of your device plan agreement. You can off-set much or all of this cost by using O2 Recycle to trade-in your existing device.

Q. I'm wanting to upgrade but want to know all my available options
A. As upgrades are very much account specific and the details can vary from person to person, we'd recommend getting in touch with our upgrade team to discuss. Call 202 and select the appropriate options from our IVR menu.

You can read all the information here 

Let us know if you need anything else! Wave

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 78 of 1,685

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ccedinburgh wrote:

Thanks, have now caught up on the full chain. I think it's absurd. Looks like a lot of customers headed for EE. I'm on the fence as I moved to O2 from EE due to atrocious customer service...

I don't think O2 has an atrocious customer service here...it's just that they suck against EE with the iPhone features.

O2 used to be iPhone exclusive, and they used to have Visual Voicemail exclusive too...how the tables have turned.

=====

Also to anyone thinking this, it's a complete myth and utter tosh that EE paid for Apple Watch LTE exclusivity for this. That's what O2 and others probably WANT you to think, so it looks like EE are the bad guys with their money keeping this away from everybody else.

How does EE exclusivity benefit Apple in any way? They created this LTE Watch feature, they want to reach out this feature out to everyone. They want people to buy their LTE watches. Look at the US. All major carriers there will have the LTE watch working. So no, there's no exclusivity. It's just EE had the balls.

Apple told all UK carriers about this probably months beforehand, and EE was the only one to implement this feature in time for launch. O2, Vodafone and Three in the end decided not to, because either:

1 - they don't think it's worth their time

2 - it will cost money for them to implement this and they think a minority will ever use this feature so what's the point or..

3 all of the above.

I think O2 and the others will look at the performance of EE's watch customers and if they are doing well, THEN they will jump in.

I mean, if they WERE interested but they don't have it ready for launch, they would have clearly said so instead of  "we have no plans at this time" and I'll still be an O2 customer for years to come.

Same thing happened for WiFi Calling, but O2 were the LAST major carrier to implement the feature 2 years after the reveal because they have TUGo and they at first, don't think it was necessary.

I do believe at some stage, O2 will be onboard with Watch LTE. However it will definitely not be this year. Probably early/mid 2019. Which IMO, is way too late.

P.S. - I'm aware EE's PR and customer service are going around saying, "Watch LTE is exclusive to us! You can only get this through us!" That's PR spin. While they are technically correct, that's because no other carrier had the balls to jump in other than them. So until a carrier jumps onboard, they have another exclusive bullet point to why choose EE over [insert other carrier].

Message 79 of 1,685

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I understand it there is no exclusivity deal, merely a technology gap (happy to be corrected).

I have to assume the Apple Watch support will not be coming in a hurry - I don't think O2 supports the embedded sim of the iPads yet does it? (That was announced late 2014...)

Having been with several providers over the years through work, I've found O2's customer service to be comparably better than the others (hence I've been with them since 1998/cellnet).  So it's sad that I may have to switch, but I've been a smartwatch fan for several years - previously owned the Gear S2 3G (Which O2 did support an e-sim for, albeit as a separate line) - and as someone who does a lot of endurance running, it's been very useful to not carry a separate phone everywhere.

Peter.

Message 80 of 1,685