Did you mean: 

Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) HUB

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hello Android users,

With Marshmallow now officially out in the wild in the form of new hardware (see the Nexus 5X and soon-to-be-launched Nexus 6P), official software updates will start pushing out to existing handsets in the coming months. Not every Android handset will see an upgrade for Marshmallow (more on that later...) but we'll keep you posted on this along the way.

What's the process from O2's end?

We understand the wait for new updates can be frustrating and we'll do all we can to minimise this so you get it as soon as possible, once we're confident the update delivers a positive user experience. So you've got a bit more insight into what to expect, here's what will typically happen:

1. Manufacturers will analyse and decide on which devices will be updated to Marshmallow
  2. We may be sent this list as a heads up - We do not typically get any ETA's until days/weeks prior to us being sent the update for testing & approval
  3. We stay on standby and wait to receive updates from vendors (Microsoft, Sony, LG, Samsung etc)
  4. Once received, our device team will test the update in-house. Testing typically lasts 1-2 weeks.
  5. If there are any issues found that are not network/O2 related, we will notify the vendor of this who may recall the update and re-issue with a fix in place (which may need re-tested)
  6. If there are no issues found, the team will approve this and send it back to the vendor who will schedule this for release
  7. Once sent back, it typically takes 1-2+ weeks to be scheduled and released to the end-user

NOTE: If you have an unlocked/SIM free handset not purchased via O2 directly, you will not be on the 'O2 update channel' and so your experience will be different. Due to your update coming direct from the vendor, due to various factors, you may see the update arrive sooner or later than O2 customers - this varies from handset to handset, update to update.

I have 'Phone X' - Will it be updated to Marshmallow?
As mentioned prior, not every handset will be updated to Marshmallow - this may depend on the device specifications, device popularity, vendor resources. Typically speaking, flagship devices are usually the first to be updated, followed by older flagship devices, followed by the rest.

We'll use this thread as a central HUB to keep everyone updated on Android Marshmallow in general. As and when we're notified from vendors around what handsets they intend to update, we'll add a section on it below - this way you can stay up to speed.

Google
With Nexus devices being close to Googles heart, these are usually the first to be updated. The following devices are already receiving updates to Android Marshmallow:
- Nexus 5
- Nexus 6
- Nexus 7
- Nexus 9

Sony
Sony have released a statement that they will update the following devices to Marshmallow
- Xperia Z5, Z5 Compact & Z5 Premium
- Xperia Z4 Tablet
- Xperia Z3+, Z3, Z3 Compact, Z3 Tablet Compact
- Xperia Z2, Z2 Tablet
- Xperia M5, C5 Ultra, M4 Aqua and C4

Sony released a statement via their blog here

SONY UPDATE @ 18th February
We're hoping to receive updates for the Z5, Z3+ and Z4 Tablet before end of the month to begin testing. If all goes well, we hope to see the update released in the coming weeks.

SONY UPDATE @ 4th March
We approved the Marshmallow update for the Z3+, Z5 Compact, Z5, Z5 Premium and Z4 Tablet on Friday 4th March and sent these to Sony for scheduling. We typically expect the updates to become live within a week or two at most, at this stage. Software version will be 32.1.A.1.163.

SONY UPDATE @ 4th May
We're currently testing the Marshmallow update for the Z2/Z3 device families and hope to have more info in the coming week or so

SONY UPDATE @ 24th May
Marshmallow is now live under the guise of software update version '23.5.A.0.575' for Z2 and Z3 family of devices. This includes: Z3, Z3 Compact, Z3 Tablet, Z2 and Z2 Tablet

HTC
HTC recently tweeted that they'd be updating the following devices to Marshmallow:
- HTC One M9 & M8 (beginning end of 2015)
- HTC One M9+, E9+, E9, ME, E8, M8 EYE
- Butterfly 3
- Desire 826, 820, 816

HTC UPDATE @ 20th January
- Marshmallow is now being rolled out to the HTC One M8 (see here)

HTC UPDATE @ 26th January
- Marshmallow now rolling out to HTC One M9's

HTC UPDATE @ 17th February
- Marshmallow 6.0.1 soon rolling out to HTC A9 (see here for more info)

HTC UPDATE @ 29th February
- Marshmallow is now rolling out to the HTC A5 (Desire 816) - The update for this is in two parts - the 1st one to prepare the device for the 6.0 update, the 2nd to actually do the update. Due to the size, this may take up to 60min or more.

HTC UPDATE @ 3rd May
- Marsmallow now available for the HTC Desire 820

HTC UPDATE @ 12th May
- Marshmallow has been approved for the HTC One M8s and we hope will be available to you in the coming week or so

Motorola
Motorola have announced that they will update the following devices to Marshmallow:
- 2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd gen)
- 2015 Moto X Style (3rd gen)
- 2015 Moto X Play
- 2015 Moto G (3rd gen)
- 2014 Moto X Pure Edition in the US (2nd gen)
- 2014 Moto X in Latin America, Europe and Asia2 (2nd gen)
- 2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)
- DROID Turbo
- 2014 Moto MAXX
- 2014 Moto Turbo
- Nexus 6

Motorolas official announcement can be found here

Note: Many of the devices above were not sold by O2 or within the UK market. If you have such devices, you should receive your update directly from Motorola - O2 will not receive these for testing/approval/release (eg, devices like the Turbo, MAXX, X Pure etc)

LG
LG have confirmed that they are working on Marshmallow for the G4. We don't currently have any estimates for when this update will be released.

LG UPDATE @ 20th January
- We're awaiting the software from LG for the G4 and will begin testing once we have it - no ETA currently available.
- The G3 update should follow shortly after the G4 has been updated

LG UPDATE @ 12th February
- We approved the G4 update a few days ago and it should be in LG's systems now. Eyes peeled over the coming days as it's likely to become available to you any day now.

LG UPDATE @ 5th May
- We've tested & approved the LG G3 update and this will be released by LG imminently

Others
At present we don't currently have any confirmed roadmaps from other vendors but we will work with them and will update this as and when more confirmations arrive.

SAMSUNG UPDATE @ 10th February
- We're currently testing marshmallow on the S6. No further info or ETA yet but we'll let you know more over the coming days/weeks.

SAMSUNG UPDATE @ 3rd March
- Marshmallow has been approved for the Samsung S6 and S6 Edge on Thu 3rd March. S6 Edge+ not yet approved but team are hoping to approve within next week. No ETA for S6/Edge but we typically expect this within a week or two at most.

SAMSUNG UPDATE @ 10th March
- Marshmallow update approved for the S6 Edge+ and returned to Samsung for schedule/release. Typically we expect these to push out within a week or two, though is sometimes sooner than this.

SAMSUNG UPDATE @ 11th March
- Marshmallow 6.0.1 has been approved for the S5 and Note 4 - We hope to see it released to customers within the next week or two

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 541
540 REPLIES 540

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for that. I had imagined from Chris's post in August that it was imminent.

Ian.
Message 521 of 541

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It certainly sounded like it to me too.
Any updates @Chris_K ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 522 of 541

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey guys,

For any of our Samsung Galaxy A3 (A310) customers out there, you should have seen an update notification for Marshmallow, or will soon. If not, go to Settings > About device > Software update > Update to check for the update manually.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 523 of 541

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Chris_K,
What about the update to the J5, which you flagged as approved and imminent in August?
Message 524 of 541

Ratty2016
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Chris_K

I also would like an update on what's happening about the J5.

Thank you.

Message 525 of 541

Anonymous
Not applicable
Update - J5 updated to Marshmallow as of October 19th 2016 (UK). Now about Nougat..........
Message 526 of 541

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok guys, do we have any idea when O2/Samsung will send out the Marshmallow update for a GS-M800F Samsung S5 mini as I have seen it is available for it from android.

Message 527 of 541

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

I'll see if we have any info on that for you :). Oh, and welcome to the community! 

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 528 of 541

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I assume you mean SM-G800F ? but Samsung haven't released the UK update yet either so unless O2 have it for testing you will need to wait a while longer yet.
In fact, no UK network has released it yet either.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 529 of 541

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Thanks for the info @MI5 slight_smile

If/when myself and the team have any further info, it will be posted here in the community 

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 530 of 541