Did you mean: 

5G: Putting Scotland in the fast lane

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions
Photo of a telephone mast in rural Scotland

Original article by Derek McManus, O2's COO, as published by The Herald.

In just a matter of months, a once-in-a-decade upgrade to Scotland’s mobile network will start rolling out. By now, you might have heard about 5G and the fact that it’s launching soon.

But with technical buzzwords like “network slicing”, “immersive VR” and “edge computing” often thrown into the 5G conversation, many people are still unsure what 5G means and whether they should care. But care we should, because 5G is coming and with more Brits now owning a smartphone than holding a driving licence, it’s time for Scotland to take notice.

The way we go about our daily lives, the way councils service their communities, even the trajectory of our economy is about to change thanks to the next generation of mobile connectivity.

As an immediate benefit, 5G will be at least 10 times faster than 4G, giving you the chance to download a full-length movie in mere seconds.

But an end to Netflix buffering on the bus is only part of the story. With the arrival of 5G, wireless connectivity will go from something we experience through personal devices, to something that connects buildings, cars, home appliances and utilities – meaning connected traffic lights to reduce road delays or sensors that can detect water leaks quicker.

Recent research from O2 also found that 5G will make a measurable difference to people’s finances, with every household expected to be £450 better off – as improved connectivity drives savings on energy, council tax and food bills.

Once rolled-out, 5G will also help businesses to get things done quicker, as faster speeds improve workplace productivity, and also support instantaneous video communication between customers and co-workers, which may help to make remote working more practical.

Scotland has an opportunity to embrace 5G and its benefits thanks to our roll-out 5G plans. This year, Edinburgh will be prioritised as one of the first cities in the country to benefit from our 5G network. To ensure Scottish businesses get a head-start, we’re also building a 5G innovation space in Edinburgh, enabling businesses of all sizes to explore the possibilities of this emerging technology.

But for 5G to truly fulfil its potential, we need to prioritise it. As new 5G-enabled devices start to come online, data usage will increase dramatically – placing new demands on our mobile networks.

From mobile operators investing, councils and landlords allowing masts on buildings, and firms looking at how it can help them – we must work together to ensure as many homes and businesses can access this technology as possible.

At the same time, we also need to work together to tackle issues around rural connectivity. Whilst the future is exciting, we know too many Scottish mobile users are still struggling to access 4G or even 3G.

Priorities have to be about investing for the future, but also investing for right now. That’s why I’m in Edinburgh today meeting with Scotland’s Connectivity Minister, Paul Wheelhouse, and Ofcom Scotland, to see how we can advance our shared ambition of delivering the highest standard of connectivity throughout the country.

The aim must be for people to experience fast speeds wherever they are located, and over the last year we’ve made great strides towards that vision. Throughout 2018, we delivered high-speed 4G mobile coverage to 366 new locations across Scotland. This year we’re hoping to connect up to 72 Scottish communities to our 4G network, which should boost our level of 4G coverage in homes and businesses throughout Scotland to 94.6 per cent.

The future mobile Britain is on the horizon and we’re committed to helping Scotland embrace it.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That's extremly interesting @Chris_K  So Edinburgh will be the first to get 5G from O2.

What about the devices which need to be compatible to make full use of it?

I hope they are available at the same time, otherwise it will be similar to someone giving you a Jag, then saying you only have  Ford Fiesta key currently. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Hopefully there will be mid range phones available for 5G. I would hate the manufacturers to take advantage of customers by hiking prices up 

By the time 5G comes to my area I'm hoping to be home 🏡 

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-trends/Huawei-joins-Thailand-s-first-5G-trial  

Message 3 of 11

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Well that put a "tooth" in it as usual @Cleoriff 

well said ~ with my budget I'll be lucky to

get 1G never mind 3G 4G or 5GDon't know

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 11

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Well I may be lucky to be "alive" @jonsie 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 11

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

TallTrees
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

I'm trying @jonsie 

slight_smile

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 8 of 11

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

That's extremly interesting @Chris_K  So Edinburgh will be the first to get 5G from O2.

What about the devices which need to be compatible to make full use of it?

I hope they are available at the same time, otherwise it will be similar to someone giving you a Jag, then saying you only have  Ford Fiesta key currently. wink

Regarding devices, I personally believe 5G will be seen as a 'premium' by manufacturers while 5G is in its infancy, but I have no doubt that sooner or later 5G will be seen as the norm and mid-tier & budget devices start arriving with the capability.

And as for your analogy, we've recently announced we'll stock the Samsung S10 5G later in the year and we'll share more news on new 5G devices as and when we're able to - so by the time our 5G network arrives, there will be consumer 5G devices available that can make use of it slight_smile

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 9 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That's good to hear @Chris_K . Thanks for clarifying. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 11