4G coming to O2

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions
Exciting news for everyone!

Today, Ofcom has announced the results of the 4G spectrum auction and we're pleased to say 4G will be coming to O2 slight_smile

Let the digital experiences commence. Interested in more info, visit: http://o2lin.kr/XkdLZE

Thanks
Abs
Message 1 of 92
91 REPLIES 91

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

well look at the bidders and I guess they can buy wholesale access from the bt Subsidary as they are not going to run any retail services

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 71 of 92

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Great news! An obvious question though, no-one seems to have picked up on in the media; why did O2 not bid for 2.6MHz spectrum? How will you be able to deliver high volume data transmission in densely populated areas? Have you a trick up your sleeve, like planning to integrate 4G seemlessly with Wi-Fi in cities?

I think there is a bit of PR spin involved with this as 2.6GHz is "better suited" to densely populated areas, as it requires more base stations to be effective in comparison to 800MHz regards coverage (sub 1GHz is prime spectrum remember).

However, more masts, means more capacity, ergo it is "better suited" to "densely populated areas".

In otherwords, it's poor in rural areas where masts are few and far between, so focus on what it's good for.

ewan 

Message 72 of 92

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I would of thought a good idea with O2 and vodaphone mast sharing to go for the high and low ends to cover all aspects. What do I know though:D
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 73 of 92

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Liquid wrote:
I would of thought a good idea with O2 and vodaphone mast sharing to go for the high and low ends to cover all aspects. What do I know though:D

They aren't sharing connections only hardware.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 74 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ewanrw wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great news! An obvious question though, no-one seems to have picked up on in the media; why did O2 not bid for 2.6MHz spectrum? How will you be able to deliver high volume data transmission in densely populated areas? Have you a trick up your sleeve, like planning to integrate 4G seemlessly with Wi-Fi in cities?

I think there is a bit of PR spin involved with this as 2.6GHz is "better suited" to densely populated areas, as it requires more base stations to be effective in comparison to 800MHz regards coverage (sub 1GHz is prime spectrum remember).

However, more masts, means more capacity, ergo it is "better suited" to "densely populated areas".

In otherwords, it's poor in rural areas where masts are few and far between, so focus on what it's good for.

ewan 

Absolutely right.  Companies which bought the 2.6ghz frequencies paid more for it, will have better capacity (numbers of users that can access at a time) but there are still technical limitations on available speeds.  O2 bought the 800Mhz spectrum (the old analogue tv signal) and took on a promise for 98% indoor/outdoor coverage by 2015. 

So, whilst 3/vodafone/orange are concentrating on areas of high mast density (major towns and cities) O2 will be better for rural areas, while still being decent in towns and cities. 

Message 75 of 92

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

@Liquid wrote:

They aren't sharing connections only hardware.

Oo my bad:( thanks:)

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 76 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great news about 4g, will 3g service still be operating for everyone who are on 3g contracts at the moment? Or will we all be transferred to the 4g service with trade in discounts for like to like mobiles ie s3 to s3 lte and so on.  I love my s3 and am loath to part with it but am a bit concerned that once 4g is switched on I wont get a service/signal. Or to use the Freeview anology, once your anaologue signal is switched off then you are forced to buy a digital ariel, freeview or digital satellite!!

Message 77 of 92

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You will get all the services that you need.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 78 of 92

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Great news about 4g, will 3g service still be operating for everyone who are on 3g contracts at the moment? Or will we all be transferred to the 4g service with trade in discounts for like to like mobiles ie s3 to s3 lte and so on.  I love my s3 and am loath to part with it but am a bit concerned that once 4g is switched on I wont get a service/signal. Or to use the Freeview anology, once your anaologue signal is switched off then you are forced to buy a digital ariel, freeview or digital satellite!!

all explained here
http://www.o2.co.uk/network/future

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 79 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any idea what will happen to the SIM only customers? Will they be a) stuck with 3G b) able to use both 3G & 4G while on same tariff (like in 3) c) forced to switch to an expensive 4g tarff (like in EE).

Message 80 of 92