4G coming to O2

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions
Exciting news for everyone!

Today, Ofcom has announced the results of the 4G spectrum auction and we're pleased to say 4G will be coming to O2 slight_smile

Let the digital experiences commence. Interested in more info, visit: http://o2lin.kr/XkdLZE

Thanks
Abs
Message 1 of 92
91 REPLIES 91

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@fellwalker mobile 4g will not use the old tv mast network unless there is already a cell site near the bottom of the tv mast.

Use the o2 coverage checker to locate your nearest o2 mast (silverlight must be installed) or use the ofcom sitefinder to do the same.

O2 bought the 800mhz spectrum that means they must cover 98% indoor of the population on 4g but also will do the same on 3g and 2g all by 2015 not 2017 as ofcom required.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 91 of 92

Fellwalker
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@adamtempt64

I thought he was probably a bit over enthusiastic about the idea!

Thanks for the ideas, about masts, but it doesn't work.

The o2 Coverage Checker tells me that I should get excellent coverage!  I don't. Today (midnight to 9:40am), at home, I have had 57% 2G, 31% 3G, but 12% of the time with NO COVERAGE. My average signal today has been 61% (-86dBm, 13asu). O2 shows a mast that is not in line of site, whereas the reception I get is from a different mast. I have Open Signal on my phone, which shows the direction of the strongest signal to the north. The O2 sitefinder shows it coming from a mast to the southeast.

O2 sitefinder

O2 sitefinder says that I get good indoor and out at and around home for voice and data. WRONG. It says that as I walk to town, I should have at a Good outdoor signal. I don't even get voice where it says that should be good outdoors.

Last time I checked, Ofcom was not being updated.  According to the sitefinder FAQ today:

Can I have a copy of the Sitefinder Database?

The last Sitefinder update was done in May 2012, although some operators ceased providing updates some years before then. The dataset is available . Ofcom cannot accept liability for any inaccuracies or omissions in the data provided within Sitefinder.
How up to date is Sitefinder?

The last update in May 2012 is based on the following datasets received by Ofcom: O2 (May 2012), Network Rail (April 2012), Hutchison (February 2012), Vodafone (October 2011), 

So not really a lot of use.

Sorry for the rant. O2 is still the best coverage at home.

Screenshot_2013-03-26-09-46-20

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 92 of 92