Did you mean: 

20 by 2020: more 5G locations!

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone,

I hope your week is going well and you're looking forward to the start of 2020! slight_smile

Some good news today related to O2's new 5G locations. Have a look at the info below and let us know your thoughts! You can find the full press release here.

5G

20 by 2020: O2 sees in the new year with more major cities connected to its next gen 5G network

• O2 continues UK 5G rollout, switching on first 5G masts in major cities including Manchester, Birmingham, and Glasgow
  • 5G hotspots now live in 20 cities across the UK and O2’s HQ in Slough
  • 5G available on O2’s revolutionary ‘custom plans’ tariffs, with unlimited data, and no 5G premium
  • Strengthening of the 4G network remains a priority, with over £2m invested a day

O2 has connected multiple major cities to its 5G network by turning on the first of its 5G hotspots in 13 new locations, fulfilling its commitment to switch-on a total of 20 places by the end of 2019.

O2 launched its 5G service in October, in: London, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Belfast, Leeds and Slough. It subsequently switched on 5G hotspots in Leicester and Lisburn in November and now customers in Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool, Newcastle, Bradford, Sheffield, Coventry, Nottingham, Norwich, Bristol, Derby and Stoke are also connected to the network. This takes the total number of cities across the UK with access to O2’s 5G network to 20*, plus O2’s HQ in Slough, ahead of the new year.

O2’s 5G network has no premium, and offers its ‘Limitless’ tariff, offering consumers unlimited data browsing, as well as its existing custom plans, which will ensure customers have the flexibility to take advantage of 5G on their terms.

O2’s 5G rollout will continue to reach customers, with a plan to reach a total of 50 locations by summer 2020. The new offering will supplement rather than replace today’s award-winning 4G network. O2 invests over £2m a day in its network, laying strong foundations for the 5G service.

For O2 customers in Windsor, Eton, Reading, Blackpool, Bournemouth and Guildford, the January blues will be offset by the promise of 5G, with O2 aiming to commence rollout by the end of March. Those wanting to know where they can access 5G can visit O2’s coverage checker to get the latest information.

Derek McManus, COO, Telefónica UK, said: “We were incredibly proud to switch on our 5G network in October, and it is brilliant to hit our target of 20 towns and cities connected to our next-generation network as we head into 2020. Our range of tariffs make it easy and fair for customers to access 5G, with flexible plans that cost no more than 4G. I believe 5G is going to revolutionise the way people and businesses use mobile connectivity, unlocking huge possibilities for our economy and society. We’re excited about getting it into the hands of our customers across the UK, and continuing to work with our partners to help shape the future of 5G for the next generation.”

Welcome to the 5th Generation

More info

Customers can be part of O2’s 5th Generation network by selecting a 5G tariff that suits them, including an unlimited data option. What’s more, customers on a custom plan are always 5G ready and can choose to upgrade to a 5G phone when the time’s right for them.

Flexible plans and unlimited 5G data

Our 5G custom plans put customers in control so they can build a plan that suits their needs. They can choose their upfront cost, the 5G data allowance they need and choose how to spread the remaining cost between 3 and 36 months, as well as having the option to flex their 5G data allowance up or down every month to suit their needs. This gives customers the flexibility to be part of the 5th Generation on their terms.

5th Generation Extras

5G will enhance the live streaming experience with improved speed, greater capacity and reduced latency. New and upgrading customers can choose from three or six month memberships to use our 5th generation network to enjoy a broad range of digital perks and content services with ‘O2 extras’. Building on the ground-breaking custom plans, customers can take their pick from Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Music Unlimited, Audible, Cafeyn, Calm, MelodyVR or O2 International Bolt-on. For more information visit O2 extras

5G Phones

O2 has a broad range of 5G phones for customers to choose from; Samsung Galaxy S10 5G; Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G; Samsung Galaxy A90 (5G); OPPO Reno 5G; Huawei Mate 20 X 5G; and the Xiaomi Mi MIX 3 5G. See our 5G phones

O2 is also working with businesses in the construction, retail, transport and utility sectors to understand how businesses will benefit from 5G. These include the testing of autonomous vehicles in Greenwich, working with the European Space Agency, providing connectivity to ‘smart’ ambulances and creating ‘remote AR experts’ with Northumbrian Water.

5G network roll-out and ongoing 4G investment

More info

O2’s 5G network infrastructure is being rolled out in partnership with primary vendors Ericsson and Nokia, following a competitive tender earlier this year.

The new 5G network supplements O2’s existing 4G connectivity, which remains the backbone of the network. O2 currently offers 4G in over 19,000 cities, towns and villages across the UK and in the second half of 2019 it has upgraded 4G capacity in almost 100,000 UK postal codes. In total, O2 is now investing over £2m a day in its network.

Earlier this year, O2 announced that it had partnered with other operators to develop the Shared Rural Network (SRN) proposal to increase total UK geographic coverage from 67% to 92%, which was recently backed by the government.

*For more information on 5G and a full list of locations please see here.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 2 of 7

BOSSGOGG
Level 8: Talented
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Been using it since release in Edinburgh. It's a bit meh for me atm. As usual o2's speeds are quite a bit behind the competition. 4G on EE exceeds 5G on o2.

The locations are also very strange with huge swathes of the city centre / tourist areas / sports venues missed and random residential areas included.

A little moot for me as I was more interested in the exclusivity of it, which is great as its still pretty "quiet".

I hope they also concentrate on improving it.
unnamed
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I see it's on in Coventry...though as I don't have a 5G phone, I won't be getting it. rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

Scottydee19
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I currently live in nottingham. And have a 5g phone, tariff and sim card. And 5g doesn't work. Everytime you ring network team. Nobody wants to give you the information and just say it will be by end of summer 2020.

Message 5 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
It does work but only in 2areas as I have posted on your other thread.

Full information is on the coverage checker.. Also call CS and make sure your on a 5G tariff and have a 5G Sim

It’s the same on all networks that offer 5G
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Is there a setting on the phone that needs to be enabled to choose a 5G connection (similar to the one turning 4G on/off)?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 7