cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 Days of Christmas: What is your favourite Christmas tradition?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

12DAYSOFCHRISTMAS_DRAFT2C.png

Hi everyone! I hope you had a nice weekend.

It is day 5 of our 12 days of Christmas celebrationsanta santa santa santa santa

As we mentioned earlier, one random lucky participant in each of these 12 topics will receive £15 Amazon voucher. We'll announce the winners in the Christmas Day topic so you have lots of time to take part in each of the topics until then!

Today's question is below, and you can find yesterday's one here if you haven't taken part yet.

Looking forward to your replies! smiling

------santa------

Do you always catch the Queens speech? Or have that special Christmas jumper that has to be worn on Christmas day? What is your favourite Christmas tradition?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
When I was a child it was my mum, dad and I opening our presents under an enormous Christmas tree. I particularly remember the Christmas my dad bought my mum a watch. But my dad was a big teaser. There was this huge box that my mum nearly fell into to find another box which when opened contained another box and so on until she finally reached the small box containing the watch 🤣

After opening the presents my dad then went into the kitchen to cook the Christmas dinner. Mum and I kept well out of the way as he was an extremely messy cook using nearly every saucepan, roasting tin and cooking utensil we owned. But to be fair he cleaned it all up himself. When he was finally done we sat down to one of the best Christmas dinners ever.

Though I've had many wonderful Christmases since, those of my youth, when my mum and dad were together, were the best. Christmas is a time for family.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 11 of 20

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Interesting @Marjo because I spent one Christmas with my son and his girlfriend's family in a little village that was once part of olé East Germany. The tradition there was to open Christmas presents on Christmas Eve which was very alien to me and that was preceded by everyone in the village attending the small church. The service was quite long and it was freezing as there was no heating.

Christmas Day consisted of a massive family meal in the morning with no traditional turkey and then the rest of the day was spent relaxing. Nothing was open and no beer allowed. God that was a long afternoon spent touring the village. It was honestly a total of 9 homes, a church, a shop and a large village green which the houses and church sorrounded.

In the evening everyone in the village gathered at the house at various times and played games with unwanted and useless gifts as prizes. 

I remember it well. It was my first Christmas alone and my son bought me airtickets to his home in Berlin to make sure I wasn't on my own. So both my best Christmas gifts involved my youngest son. 

I do remember also being in a church during Christmas time as a child @jonsie. I was in the children's church choir and remember my teeth clattering while singing. laughing Also I've never had Christmas turkey. It was always ham. Once the ham was so big that it didn't fit into the oven so my dad had to saw it in half. We always made lots of dishes and shared with friends of the family. 

@clivityuk chocolate or plain calendars? grin Or something more exotic like something I saw advertised earlier, a coffee advent calendar with different types of ground coffee varieties for each day...?

Message 12 of 20

clivityuk
Level 3: Thinker
  • 40 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Marjo chocolate...the ones with little doors that give you a treat each day.  Remember those and Xmas crackers from my childhood here before sadly moving to the US as a child.

But am now back where I belong, 40 years later slight_smile

And I now need to go pick up an advent calendar hehehe they really were a cool memory tho

Message 13 of 20

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
The most recent favourite would be the new star wars movies each year, which funnily enough ties in with the old tradition when I was a kid with the star wars movie on BBC or itv on Christmas day, either that or superman. We all knew about them as it's the one time of year people bought tv times in order to mass plan the movie selections (no TiVo or on demand then..)
Message 14 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Putting up the Christmas tree ... christmas_tree

From when a kid, my mum would go into the top cupboard to get the Christmas decorations ... & ... dad sorted out the multi-coloured lights 

When I was married, I trimmed up the tree

& then later ... with my son Alex trimming the tree up ... christmas_tree

Lovely Christmas memories joy

Message 15 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
What I do is wake up 8 or 9am go to my dads for 10am stay till about 1pm and then head to my mums after and see more people then 8pm or 9pm go back home
Message 16 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

When my parents and in-laws were alive I used to have to drive 10 miles and 18 miles respectively to pick them up around lunchtime whilst my wife tried to set out the table whilst cooking the spuds carrots peas and the awful smelly sprouts all the time watching the boys kill each other. Around 10pm I got to do it all again so no alcohol for me with Christmas Dinner.

All so worth it. I would give up my life to do it again one last time to have them all including my wife. I'd even eat the dreaded sprouts..... 

Message 17 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

For my family it's a collective nap after lunch them back to eating for the rest of the evening laughing 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 18 of 20

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I thought everybody's favourite tradition would be opening their prezzies yahoo

That and the tons and tons of lovely food smiley

Whats quickly becoming a tradition with us is the trip to the pub on xmas eve afternoon for a few hours beers

Thanks

Steve
Message 19 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@welshsteve76 All about the food for me! joy

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 20 of 20