Did you mean: 

101 non-emergency calls are now free

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey everybody,

This week the Home Office announced that calls to the 101 non-emergency service would be made free as of April 1st. See below a small section taken from the official announcement on Gov.uk:

The Home Office

From tomorrow no member of the public should have to pay for 101 non-emergency calls to the police.

Currently callers to the 101 number are connected to their local police force, or a force of their choice, and charged 15p a time.

The vast majority of people will be able to use the service free of charge from tomorrow. However, from 1 April to 1 July there remains a chance that users of small operators will be charged for using the 101 service. The Home Office will be urging those providers to refund their customers.

In May last year the Home Office announced it will invest £7 million a year to make the service free, which receives around 30 million calls annually.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Long overdue thumbsup

Seconded

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122358 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good Job !

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25020 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

About time. Most welcomed.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 5 of 7

jul17
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I called 101 yesterday to report some non social distancing behaviour and I'm sure I was charged for it as my balance went down.  I'm on pay-as-you-go.  Has O2 definitely implemented this as of 1st April?  I can't get in touch with them to check my call charges.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It should have been for the major networks but O2 are running slowly at the moment so may take a few days to catch up.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7