cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Ace 4 Test

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

This is a review of a nice little phone... The Samsung Ace 4. Now I am currently using a Blackberry Passport as a daily driver (and I love it, so there! lol). But owning to the situation Blackberry is in, I am looking to change phones when my current contract comes to an end. I have NEVER used an android phone before, so please bear with me! 

When I got the phone I was a little nevous as to how to use the bloody thing! But went online and had a read and just went for it. It is a nice phone, well built, nice clear and bright screen, with great PPI, nice weight and feel. I have had no problems using the phone OS, as it is fairly straight forward and intuitive to use, in fact similar to BB10 ( Please don't yell!!), in which I mean it is easy to learn, fairly quickly I was going into settings to get the phone to look the way I wanted, and all is easy to do. Sometimes I got lost or hit the wrong thing, but with a quick swipe or keystroke I got all back to where I was, and carried on. The phone is KitKat 4.4, and I would love to see Marshmallow to check the differences in the Os'. 

I personally would not buy this phone, as it is a bit too small for me. My BB Passport has 4.5" square screen, and I like it.  If I were to switch to an android phone I would be looking for a newer one and bigger screen, 5" would be about right. I am looking for now, so any advice?? I know some of the readers may be thinking what the.. about this review, But I am saying how I found the phone, I am not a reviewer, just an ordinary guy who likes tech!!

Overall I like this phone, easy to use, carry, takes decent photos (not great, just good), and would do what I wanted to do, just a bit slower than what I am used to. I would say to people who are looking for a cheap phone, go for this Samsung Ace 4, it will do what you want it to do, no more, but no less either!!

I have been using this for about a month, and will be sad to see it go, as it has its uses, and I might buy one to help me get used to Android OS, but we shall see!!

Hope you all like what you have just read, I enjoyed writing it, and hope it helps!

Cheers!!

PS.    I was wondering about Windows 10, as I have been reading good things about that.

8 Comments
viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Galaxy Note series or S7 edge with its larger 5.5" screen.
Give @Toby a holler and register to borrow the note 4 on the try the tech scheme.
Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Moving from BB your really going to moving up no mater what way you go. I personally like the windows phones but many... most don't due to the lack of apps. But.. the main ones are there, facebook, Instagram etc. You know as soon as a add is on tv saying try our app they don't mean us on wp. But these apps are gimmicks anyway. If your interested check out the Lumia 950XL and 640XL. The 640 is running 8.1 but will be updated. Ask @Toby for a test unit.

Here is a couple of my reviews:
640: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Try-The-Tech-Microsoft-Lumia-640-LTE-Review/m-p/93...
950: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/First-Impressions-of-the-Microsoft-Lumia-950/m-p/9...

If you liked the ace as @viridis said you'll like the note line or the s plus line. Maybe check out the Sony and LGs too.

There is another option, Apple.. S6 plus.. ill say no more as I'm not a fan but many swear by them.
Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Nice to read your thoughts on the Ace 4. (Particularly as you are a BB user) There are a number of windows phones on Try The Tech. If you are interested then PM @Toby the Head of Community. He will put you on the list...:smileywink:

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The Ace 4 is just what it is, an introduction to android. KitKat is a little dated but still a neat OS. You will find that the upper end androids are lightening fast with good cameras and displays. Glad you enjoyed the learning curve, I enjoyed reading your review.

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Lovely review @Anonymous! Its definitely smaller than other Samsungs, but the Ace is nice and sturdy slight_smile

We'll be doing another Tech trial in the future, so keep posted for that.

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Does this mean you want the Galaxy S6 edge back now @Toby?
MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
lol
Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

No thanks @viridis wink