Microsoft Lumia 550 Review

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the box

Lumia 550 handset

Charger

Quick Start Instructions 

Out of the box

You get a very thin box with the handset & a charger. No other accessories at all which was slightly disappointing. The phone fits nicely in your hands. A smooth all round plastic finish for a phone suitable for the mid level Lumia phones.

Screen

The screen is 4.7 inches, very bright & clear with 720p & a HD screen. You can see text clearly & easily.

The Microsoft OS

The Lumia 550 comes pre installed with the new Windows 10. The OS looks beautiful. Much nicer than anything on Android & beats IOS for design & looks. There is not much in the way of the sort of apps that you get on iOS & Android but you do get the usual social media apps, some games etc. The phone comes installed with all the Microsoft programs that you know & love. The Lumia 550 is a mini Windows laptop in your hands. It is extremely fast considering it has the Snapdragon 210 chip & a 1GB of RAM.

I used to be very sceptical because of the lack of apps & the target audience is business users but I am pleasantly surprised. I prefer Windows Phone OS over Android. I have found that Android is slightly slower than Windows but still not as fluid as iPhone.

Camera

Rear camera is 5mp. An average one compared to the big expensive models out there but you would expect that. Front camera is a lowly 2mp so a bit sub par.

Battery

Its estimated to have up to 18 hours talk time, it's also very good on heavy usage.

I really like the live tiles. A nice feature which makes it different to iOS & Android. I like all the different OS, but I prefer Windows over Android but iOS still comes top for me.

Pro's

Very good HD screen

Fast

Much better OS

Cons

Lack of apps

Front camera rather sub par 

14 Comments
Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Nice little review @Anonymous I see this is a backup device  according to your signature?

What sort of price does it run out at?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Cleoriff  Yes it's a backup device as my iPhone 6 is my main device. It usually costs from around £40-£79 depending on where you purchase it

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you @Cleoriff  Yes it's a backup device as my iPhone 6 is my main device. It usually costs from around £40-£79 depending on where you purchase it

I didn't know you could get them that cheap.....Blimey...Confused

Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprising isn't it 

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Seems like a bargain tbh.
Thanks for the review @Anonymous
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a steal at that price. Thanks very much @viridis

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Lovely little review @Anonymous well done slight_smile

The battery life is impressive!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Toby the battery was one of the things that impressed me 

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Great review @Anonymous really informative! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much @Martin-O2 much appreciated 

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

No problem! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very helpful review @Anonymous ... @Cleoriff recommended it to me as atm my well suited to me Microsoft Nokia Lumia LTE is at the town's O2 repair shop (blank screen)

To use the 550 as a back up phone sounds very sensible

I'm thinking cpw also in town would be a good place to start pricing one up? 

Windows 10 installed if I remember rightly from reading above (poor short-term retentive memory I have)

thank you very much lovemyphone & Cleoriff slight_smile

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best places to look @Anonymous are CPW, Tesco & Sainsburys. Windows 10 comes pre installed 

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you @Anonymous for your post above  ^  ^  ^  containing valuable info for me 

Thanks!