cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple AirPods Review

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't done a review in a long while so I thought it was about time I did another. Here we go with an Apple AirPods review.

So the Apple AirPods. Lets get the preliminaries out of the way.

Specifications

Price

• £159

Weight

• AirPods (each): 4 g (0.14 ounces)

• Charging Case: 38 g (1.34 ounces)

Dimensions

• AirPods (each): 16.5x18.0x40.5 mm (0.65x0.71x1.59 inches)

• Charging Case: 44.3x21.3x53.5 mm (1.74x0.84 by 2.11 inches)

Connections

• AirPods: Bluetooth

• Charging Case: Lightning connector

AirPods Sensors (each):

• Dual beam-forming microphones

• Dual optical sensors

• Motion-detecting accelerometer

• Speech-detecting accelerometer

Power and Battery

• AirPods with Charging Case: more than 24 hours of listening time, up to 11 hours of talk time

• AirPods (single charge): up to 5 hours of listening time, Up to 2 hours of talk time

• 15 minutes in the case equals 3 hours listening time or over an hour of talk time

Product packaging

As is typical of Apple, the packaging for the AirPods is very non-descript. Inside the box you'll find the AirPods, some product information leaflets and a lightning cable. There's really nothing more to say here.

fullsizeoutput_437.jpeg

The AirPods

The first thing I noticed about the AirPods were how small they were. I can only describe them as ‘dainty.’ On reflection, I don't know what I was expecting. And in use, the case is small enough to be tucked away in the coin pocket of your jeans but the AirPods are large enough to know they are there. The Airpods live in a floss looking charging case. The Airpods are held in place with magnets so there's no fear of them falling out.

fullsizeoutput_431.jpegfullsizeoutput_433.jpegfullsizeoutput_435.jpeg

Set up

One of the things that really impressed me with the AirPods was how easy it was to connect them to my phone. Open the top of the case, and the phone recognised them almost immediately. Check out my video and you'll see that the W1 chip that Apple used in these is really impressive.

Impressions

So the reason I brought the Airpods was because I wanted something more convenient to travel with than my over ear headphones. Another reason I prefer earphones when I'm out and about is because I don't want to mess up my hair joyjoy (Apologises to those without hair)

Every time you open the case to take the Airpods out, you are presented with with the following. As you will see, when you take the Airpods out the case, it shows a charge percentage for each Airpod.

So with the Airpods safely in my ears, I play some music. The sound quality didn't blow me away but it wasn't terrible either. You are not going to get the deep bass you would in, say, the Beats range. The volume range is impressive considering the size of them. However, you are going to hear a lot of the outside world with these. If you want noise cancelling, look elsewhere!

You control the Airpods through double taps on the Airpods. As default, Siri is assigned to both sides. I wasn't having any of that! Siri is just another woman in my life who doesn't listen to me! Fortunately, in iOS 11, the double tap can be changed in the Bluetooth settings as you can see below. I now have play/pause on one ear and skip to the next track on the other. Also, when you take the AirPods out of your ears, the music automatically stop. Clever!

fullsizeoutput_42d.jpeg

The Airpods are truly wireless. This could potentially be a problem. They are a 'one size fits all' and while they fit comfortably in my ears, they may not in others and could potentially fall out. While Find my iPhone now covers Airpods, its still an inconvenience. And expensive to replace if lost!

The design is interesting. I get some odd looks when I'm out and it has nothing to do with my height. I sometimes feel like a have tusks hanging out of my ears. I'm starting to get paranoid of poachers. joy I'm also unimpressed that there only available in the default Apple white. Give me some black AirPods please Apple!

Conclusion

So the pro's of the Airpods are these. They are very lightweight and small enough to carry around in your pocket. The sound quality, while not excellent, is good. I also like the fact that these are always fully charged and are able to be charged. And I'm very impressed with how they connect to my phone and also, all of my iCloud devices. They are a comfortable earphone as well.

So the cons. They are expensive. But so are most truly wireless earphones. I'm not a huge fan of the colour. I know you can get skins for them but I'd prefer it if Apple made different colours to choose from. The 'tusks' are a little annoying as well. The 'one size fits all' isn't going to suit everyone. And finally, why, oh why did Apple have to put a lightning port on the charging case?! I think it'd have been a lot better if they had used USB C. But I've already ranted about Apple's proprietary port in another post so I won't do it again.joy

I hope you guys enjoyed this. If you have any questions, let me know. slight_smile

5 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice review & videos @Anonymous though the price would put me off purchasing them 

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Good review. Sadly you are right about the strange looks. I've seen a couple of people out and about and they do look ridiculous with that long tail. And in white. That's probably the worst aspect of them as you suddenly become another mugging target walking down the street.

However, it looks like a good integration with the iDevices and maybe one I'd consider as a desk-bound headset when typing away on conference calls. But not at £159 but maybe just under £100 though.

How is the fit in the ear? I'm wary of this type of design as they don't fit properly and fall out too easily with a tilt of the head. How is the sound isolation from the surroundings?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

Good review. Sadly you are right about the strange looks. I've seen a couple of people out and about and they do look ridiculous with that long tail. And in white. That's probably the worst aspect of them as you suddenly become another mugging target walking down the street.

However, it looks like a good integration with the iDevices and maybe one I'd consider as a desk-bound headset when typing away on conference calls. But not at £159 but maybe just under £100 though.

How is the fit in the ear? I'm wary of this type of design as they don't fit properly and fall out too easily with a tilt of the head. How is the sound isolation from the surroundings?

They fit my ear pretty well. Have my head a good shake when I got them and they didn’t fall out. And I go about my day to day business without much worry. But it is the fact is that it’s not going to fit everyone’s ears.

Sound isolation isn’t fantastic tbh.

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks for posting your review @Anonymous! smiley It was an interesting read! They do seem fantastic otherwise, but for my ears, every ear bud I have ever tried always falls off when I move my head a little bit. open_mouth

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122130 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Nice review @Anonymous. They do seem a tad expensive though (particularly as you said the sound isolation isn't that good)