cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when is LTE officially cut off in the UK?

Xcile92
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

i heard a rumour that i don't think is true. that LTE might get replaced by GSM... or was the idea scrapped... because i'm still using a relic Xperia and i don't have enough to afford a upgrade this year since i'm still paying VM for a uninsured Xperia 5II that is broken beyond repair. also a friend was unable to call me this morning as my number was unavailable but when i called her back it was fine... maybe its EE being total morons for her since she still uses the original VM sim from the EE guys. if anyone knows much about a Xperia Z2 would be nice to see if anyone knows how to get a replacement calling app to receive and send calls better. i cant get google calling app to work on android 6 and im stuck on a discontinued sony calling app... unless someone knows how to install a newer android safely on my Xperia Z2. i have tried looking online to get android 9 or newer for my xperia z2 but i dont know what to trust.

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Xcile92 

All mobile phones are GSM. LTE is 4g (etc) data protocol so will not be phased out.

If you look on XDA forums you can find guides to update your phones firmware to later builds.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Xcile92 

All mobile phones are GSM. LTE is 4g (etc) data protocol so will not be phased out.

If you look on XDA forums you can find guides to update your phones firmware to later builds.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@Xcile92 

LTE is 4G and there are no plans to replace this or turn it off. 

3G will start across some networks being demised from 2023 starting with Vodafone

O2 haven;t announced when they will turn off 3G/UMTS

VM are migrating over to Vodafone and have cut off all PAYG sim cards as they no longer support PAYG just in case its not a Pay Monthly. 

Your best bet is to ask in the VM Community at community.virginmedia.com 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 3