cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 13 (5G) Do I need to upgrade existing O2 SIM?

RichardCheshire
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Whilst I don't live in a 5G zone, there are towns and cities near where I could use 5G. My current O2 4G SIM is in an iPhone XR.

If I upgrade, do I need a 5G sim or will my current SIM work?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@RichardCheshire 

Your current sim will work for 4g but not 5g.

Get a new 5g sim from O2 when you upgrade.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@RichardCheshire 

Your current sim will work for 4g but not 5g.

Get a new 5g sim from O2 when you upgrade.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 7

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37230 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

In addition to what @MI5 says above, @RichardCheshire: O2 also need to enable 5G on your account - it should come as part of the 5G upgrade from O2. Three things needed to avail of the areas with O2 5G signal: (1) a 5G-capable handset, (2) a 5G SIM in the handset, and (3) 5G services enabled on your O2 account. 

More on O2's 5G coverage and plans here: https://5g.co.uk/o2/ Good luck!

Message 3 of 7

RichardCheshire
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you very much

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

Welcome

Message 5 of 7

Stewby
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I upgraded to i13 a couple of weeks ago and the sim was my old one and it still works in 5g zones and seems to register the  5g.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@Stewby wrote:

I upgraded to i13 a couple of weeks ago and the sim was my old one and it still works in 5g zones and seems to register the  5g.

You must have had a 5g sim already then.

Message 7 of 7