Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage and FaceTime activation issues

Evo_Lee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. Since porting to O2 I am unable to activate iMessage and FaceTime for my phone number. It worked up until the port was completed. 

I have switched both off and restarted the device then switched back on but I get activation failure messages when I select my phone number.  The number is registered on my Apple ID and phone. I have taken the sim out, signed out of my Apple ID, reset my network settings etc but to no avail. I have another O2 number and I can use that one ok, just not the one I ported.  

anyone got any advice? I have just asked for a replacement SIM card to try that. 

thanks

l

Message 1 of 271
270 REPLIES 270

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12474 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1153 Solutions

Others with this issue have had success by resetting the network settings on their phone @Kylie84 .

Give that a try and let us know if it works - if not then we can try something else!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 141 of 271

Kylie84
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Good morning, yes I have tried resetting my network settings multiple times.
I've also made sure my correct number is under phone.

I was told yesterday that on occasion it can take 24 hours from a number being ported in for imessage to be able to be activated as it can take 24 hours for MMS to activate? Seems a little strange.

Further up the thread, someone mentioned a spend cap of £0 prevents MMS to be sent which is how imessage is intially activated? Do I need to request my spend cap to be increased to £5?

Message 142 of 271

gmarkj
  • 12474 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1153 Solutions

Messages in general are the last thing to settle down after a number port @Kylie84, but never heard MMS being mentioned in particular. 

As for the spend cap, it can't hurt to try it - unfortunately it will require another contact with customer services though...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 143 of 271

Kylie84
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My mistype! An international sms is sent silently to activate apparently. 

Message 144 of 271

gmarkj
  • 12474 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1153 Solutions

Yes that sounds about right @Kylie84 - we have seen questions about international charges while abroad that were down to iMessage and FaceTime registering on the foreign network.

Try the spend cap change (which will take 24 hours, again) and see if that gets it working. If not, come back and we can ask the community advisors to take a look and see if there is anything behind the scenes that needs fixing.

Message 145 of 271

Kylie84
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok so it's not quite been 24 hrs but my spend cap is listed under my bolt ons now. I still can't activate either imessage of Facetime!
I assume raising it to £5 will allow imessage to silently send an international sms?

I need support from a tech guru at this point.

I am talking to support via the app but I am just repeatedly being told to try the standard solutions of resetting network settings, check you number is listed correctly, switch imessage off and back on, remove sim card for 5 mins, combinations there of. None of the "standard" solutions are working. Which makes me believe thet there was an issue with the porting in?

I did read on another o2 thread to request "idata is active" all my mobile network settings list idata, but so far when I've asked the question to support, they simply ignore it.

I don't believe it's an apple issue, my 3 email addresses are listed and selected and I can send and receive imessages through them. My correct number is listed too, just can't check it and it states "An error occured during activation try again"

Interestingly enough, when I first turn imessage back on it only shows my number until my email addresses load up a few seconds later. If I try and check my phone number it states "Remove number from imessage and Facetime?" Like it thinks it's active but it's actually not.... Just trying to give as much info as possible as this is quite frustrating!

Thanks.

Message 146 of 271

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124890 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7536 Solutions

@Kylie84 

@O2Sarah-is on this morning. I've tagged her to the thread. Hopefully she can help.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 147 of 271

O2Sarah-
  • 689 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

Thanks for the tags @Cleoriff  and @Kylie84 

@Kylie84 I will send you a private message so we can check your account. 

Message 148 of 271

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124890 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7536 Solutions

Thanks @O2Sarah- x

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 149 of 271

NPatel