Did you mean: 

how can I rurn off roaming for one trip only

konrad1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Recently I went on holidays to a country which is in my roaming travel zone. I didn't want to use it, the fee may be small, but it was 2 weeks and 2 phones (both identical pixel 6 pro). I turned off roaming option. nothing, then I turned off mobile data, checked again, still nothing. we were told by the helpdesk consultant that something is connecting with internet anyway, they can see it, they just cannot say what is it because of privacy reasons they do not know.

what was on - location for sure, every time we got money from the atm we got notified, once someone wanted to call me and I rejected the call, we also got 3 notification about spam calls moved directly to a spam folder. I cannot think of anything else.

can you help me? I have no idea what happened there, I never downloaded anything, we both think of us as rather cautious people so even though I cannot exclude the virus, it would be rather something else.

I always though that if I turn off the roaming and then even the mobile data at all, it should be fine. when I checked the bill it looks like premium text to 9017 and also 07802000332  was involved. Those 2 turned on the bolt on. How can I make sure that the next time I won't be charged. I do not want to turn off my travel zone completely, it is useful. I just want to control when I use it.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144435 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@konrad1 

Most likely is silent texts sent by your phone registering for visual voicemail. The phone will do this each time it is turned on or sees a new network. If you turn off your voicemail it should stop it Guide: All you need to know about O2 Voicemail 901 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144435 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@konrad1 

Most likely is silent texts sent by your phone registering for visual voicemail. The phone will do this each time it is turned on or sees a new network. If you turn off your voicemail it should stop it Guide: All you need to know about O2 Voicemail 901 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6616 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

9017 is definitely Visual Voicemail and appears to override data settings

07802000332 is the international SMS gateway number.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36005 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

As you are on Android, @konrad1, a couple more things to check:

1. Google Verification Check:
Go here: http://myaccount.google.com/phone

Where it says “manage auto-verification status”
Switch the button next to your number/phone to off

pgn_0-1684078507046.png

2. Apps that your phone allows to send SMS:

Go into Settings

Search for "Permission manager"

Then tap "SMS"

Check those apps that are allowed/not allowed to send and view SMS messages:

SMSPermissions.png

Worth a shot, @konrad1.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144435 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Google verification sends a code to your phone to login to apps. Without that on you may be denied access to certain things. Received codes are always free and won't trigger the travel charge.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

konrad1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks a lot! I did not blame O2, though they were quickly to reimburse me for everything, which may suggest something from their side, but I was worried about the virus or so. we have the visual voicemail indeed, we moved to O2 from 3 and it's way better and faster, just got confused and nervous. Now I can sleep well slight_smile

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144435 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

You're welcome @konrad1 

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7