Did you mean: 

can't receive texts when using wifi

Irishman
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I have a Google Pixel 5 and have just switched from a contract with 3 to pay as you go with O2.

However I can now not receive texts when connected to my home Wifi. Texts work correctly away from home but not at home. There was an option to enable texts via wifi/data when initially setting up but it seems to have disabled my ability to receive texts and I can't see where to reset this. I can send texts ok but not receive.

When switching networks, I kept the same phone but changed sims. 

Help?

Thanks,

Kevin

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Irishman 

You need to reset the default applications for sms messages in the messaging app.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Irishman
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

forgot to add that I kept my old number.

Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Irishman 

O2 don't support sms over wifi on your phone yet.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Irishman 

with o2 you need to be on Pay Monthly, as o2 dont support WiFi Calling on PAYG and the same will probably when they roll out SMS over WiFi as well

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 6

Irishman
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi guys, thanks for the info.

I'm not sure why it gave me the option for sms over wifi if it's not something that O2 offer. 

The question is how do I deselect this now? As I can't receive texts while connected to wifi it feels like the phone is trying to do this even though it can't and thus blocking texts from coming in.

Any suggestions?

Kevin

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Irishman 

You need to reset the default applications for sms messages in the messaging app.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6