Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling option gone - sim trick doesnt work

Uwain
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had Moto G9 Play - supplied by O2 - running with WiFI Calling for several months (after contacting O2 to "activate" WiFi calling??) now.

Today, in an effort to troubleshoot my Mums 1p mobile phone of the same model, I switched sims. Did what I had to do and then returned sims to the original phones (power off, switch sims, power on - both times).

Now, my O2 phone on the O2 network no longer has WiFi calling as an option under advanced settings for the mobile network. Interestingly my Mum's mobile is fine, WiFi calling no problems (although her problem is there are no WiFi calling preference settings like I used to get - I assume this is a network thing).

This forum suggested a procedure (power off, remove sim, start phone, when fully started insert sim) which I tried and still do not have WiFi calling. I get no mobile signal here so my phone is now useless.

Does somebody at O2 need to register my phone for WiFi calling or something??

Please help!

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10134 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@Uwain 

Wifi Calling is network dependent and 1p Mobile do not support it. 

It may have been disabled when the 1p Mobile Sim was inserted, so you may need to login to Myo2 and just re-enabling it, if this doesnt work then

If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

madasaf1sh
  • 10134 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@Uwain 

Wifi Calling is network dependent and 1p Mobile do not support it. 

It may have been disabled when the 1p Mobile Sim was inserted, so you may need to login to Myo2 and just re-enabling it, if this doesnt work then

If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this

Message 2 of 8

Uwain
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Appreciate it, thanks. I will try social media then.

FYI - WiFi calling works fine on 1p mobile for their customers (there aren't any preference settings, so I think she is having occasional problems when the network takes over the call and then drops) as it is essentially EE and EE have had WiFi calling for everyone (even PAYG) for a while now... even after switching sims. And no activating necessary!

She has been using it for a couple of months, so it is most definitely supported.

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122771 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

That's interesting to hear about WiFi Calling on 1P Mobile @Uwain.

I would have answered the same as @madasaf1sh, particularly with it being PAYG. So thanks for the info. Every day's a school day on here Lol

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

Uwain
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hang on hang on!

I never said Mum had PAYG... I dunno if 1p Mobile offer WiFi calling on PAYG... she has one of them yearly deals that they do sometimes (pay £36 for a year of free calls and texts or something??)... and it works fine for that.

Sorry that this became an advert for them!! Not my intention.

Message 5 of 8

madasaf1sh
  • 10134 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

1p Mobile are  PAYG Mobile operator, they dont offer anything else such as Pay Monthly DD billing, and the deal they offer for a year for £36 is still PAYG

It even say so on their website

We offer the UK's cheapest PAYG mobile tariff, without the need to sign a costly contract, and you can keep your existing number. Plus, our SIM card is available in three sizes - micro, nano and standard - making it compatible with any unlocked phone.

We have an easy to navigate website which includes details on how to join 1pMobile, how to add money to your account, and how to keep track of your usage.

Message 6 of 8

Uwain
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok... if you say it is Pay As You Go (even though she doesnt even have a registered payment method and never pays anything more and she has no credit (save for the 20p credit that gets added when you sign up); Pre-pay seems more suitable) then fine... that company DO operate WiFi for PAYG then!

I just assumed such marketing material to be out-of-date legacy stuff that had not been sense checked lately. You see that sort of thing all over the 'net.

Anyway, I got a response on FB - they said they can look at it... so thanks for the tip slight_smile

Message 7 of 8

Uwain
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

FYI - using the Phone Info hidden menu (*#*#4636#*#*) I could see that when I went to bed the phone wasn't provisioned for VoLTE or WiFi Calling. It was, at least, finally IMS (mission impossible??) registered.

This morning WiFi Calling is back to normal, the menu item exists and the O2 preferences/options are back... and the phone is now provisioned. I just left the phone overnight and it fixed itself!

Anyone know how O2 do this? Do they have some batch provisioning job that runs every morning?

I have asked them on FB (they got back to me this morning asking for security details, but now that its working I'm not inclined to provide further security details) but I have not yet had any response.

Message 8 of 8