Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was I misled? PAC / Porting my number to O2 from Three

PaulRed
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I would like to get your opinions on an issue I have encountered during the recent transfer of my Three Mobile number  (Monthly contract) to an O2 PAYG SIM  on Tuesday, 5th March.

Following the use of a PAC code through O2's transfer form on Tuesday 5th March, my Three SIM was disconnected the next day; however, the intended number porting to O2 did not occur. Despite multiple calls to O2 customer services, where they resubmitted the PAC code and advised patience, I was then informed on Friday, 8th March, that it is purportedly impossible to transfer a Pay Monthly SIM from another provider to a PAYG SIM. Consequently, I was told I needed to take out a contract with O2 for a minimum of 12 months.

Feeling compelled due to the PAC code already being in O2's system and unusable elsewhere, I reluctantly subscribed to a contract to retain my old number. 

Since initiating the PAC code transfer and since Wednesday, 6th March, at 12 noon, I have been without my number. My primary concern is whether O2 was accurate in stating that a Pay Monthly SIM cannot be transferred to a PAYG SIM. Was I possibly misled or provided with inaccurate information to coerce me into committing to a 12-month contract?

I eagerly await your opinions in clarifying this matter. If O2's assertion is correct, I am perplexed as to why this information was not conveyed during the six previous calls and why their online form allows users to select a transfer from a monthly SIM to a PAYG. Conversely, if customer services provided incorrect information, I find myself in a situation where I have been obligated to enter into a contract against my wishes.

I appreciate your guidance.

Note: I have also sent this to OFCOM for their view on this case.

Message 1 of 68
67 REPLIES 67

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh Three have released the number and O2 have confirmed this also and that the number has ported to their system and is locked on their system.

This is all confirmed in chats and recorded calls.

Message 41 of 68

PaulRedPAYG
  • 15 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For those interested. As I was within the 14 day cooling off period and as I did not want to be stuck in a contract I did not want and was coerced into I cancelled that contract freely today.

The complaint still stands as I still have the PAYG SIM I originally wanted to port to but I have ordered a SIM from another provider and will change all my contacts to that. I do not hold any hope for the complaint though but will send it to the Ombudsman, again, I do not expect much from them either and it will drag for months. The only saving grace is that it will cost O2 £750 so there is some revenge there. 

It just wasn't worth the stress and hours of calls anymore to be treated with total incompetence and downright lies from O2 customer services. So I have resigned to losing a number I had for over 20 years.

Good luck to all with O2 / Virgin. They are an absolute shambles.

Message 42 of 68

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37253 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

A salutary lesson, doubt they'll learn though, tbh, @PaulRedPAYG/@PaulRed  🤷

Message 43 of 68

Urgent2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

PAUL YOUR SITUATION SOUNDS REMARKABLY SIMILAR TO MY OWN - HAVE YOU GOT ANY SOLUTION YET??

A port should've occurred on the 6 March. Now to cut a long story short it is 24 March some 18 days later and My PORT from Three to O2 has still not occurred. Have spent at least 50 hours plus on calls to O2 with no response. Promises of calls back which do not materialise and no manager intervention.  Escalations raised a number of times to no avail. I'm at my wits end losing reputation and financially. Absolute nightmare...can anyone help me here?! 

Message 44 of 68

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37253 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

@Urgent2 - you should tag @PaulRed or @PaulRedPAYG so they see your question.

And the only ones who can help you? O2. Keep at them, and if you use Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) then the ways to get to O2 on those platforms are in the link just below. Also have you checked that your port request has been processed properly by Three? It may have been escalated to your previous network to resolve an issue, and in some circumstances then it could go to the number owner (if you have ported multiple times). 

You will have to persevere with customer services on 202 or 0344 809 0202 or the Social Media route.

Good luck!

Message 45 of 68

PaulRedPAYG
  • 15 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@pgn for me, Three have confirmed my number was released plus the number is showing inactive now on my Three account. I have this in writing in regards to it being released to O2

Plus, I have recordings of O2 202 Customer support stating the number is locked on their system. Then the usual promises / lies time and again.

My case also includes being coereced into a contract after originally PACing the number to a PAYG SIM with them stating it was impossible to port a pay monthly sim to a PAYG. 

Also a lie and confirmed by OFCOM in writing.

I am recording every call and their elaborate lies. The latest is, somebody will call me on Monday before 6pm to resolve.

Watch this space...

Message 46 of 68

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7588 Posts
  • 143 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@PaulRedPAYG 

Have you warned the O2 advisor on each occasion before you have gone on to record a call ? 

It is a bit of a legal minefield but if you record calls and hand the recording to a third-party such as the Ombudsman without the other party's consent, you might create a problem for yourself. 

Take care. 👍 

Message 47 of 68

PaulRedPAYG
  • 15 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Urgent2 I originally PACed to an O2 PAYG. Then after a few days of chasing, they said it was impossible to port a pay monthly to a PAYG and I had to take a contract to keep my number. This is after my number was released to O2 so essentialy my number was held to ransom.

In my case, I have logged all calls, names (although they do not give you their real name) and times and information from the start. I also have a letter confirming a breach of code of conduct letter from OFCOM and case ref with them.

Because I was coereced into a contract, I cancelled this temporary number within the 14 days as it was coereced. I then got a SIM with another network and changed all my contacts  There was no way I was going to give O2 my hard earned money after their incompetence and the stress they caused.

O2 still have my number though and I am now attempting to get it ported as originally requested to my O2 PAYG SIM.

I have an ongoing complaint logged in resolver with a full and detailed timeline of events, calls and recordings. *Record your calls to them to prove the lies as they do not have to release calls when the Ombudsmans asks. 

My case will go to the ombudsman in 6 weeks and each recording proves that they are simply lying and do not care. 

I have come to terms that O2 will never resolve it but I am now continuing to simply log and record the lies and deceit which I'll give to the Ombudsman and also report again to OFCOM.

My only peace is that they will be charged £750 when it goes to the ombudsman.

I no longer expect to see my number again. They ramsoned it and seem to have cut its throat rather than release it. 

I had the number for about 23 years until O2 stole it.

Message 48 of 68

PaulRedPAYG
  • 15 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Oxonian I have warned them yes regarding recording. There were a couple where I forgot but I won't use those.

Message 49 of 68

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7588 Posts
  • 143 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@PaulRedPAYG 

Fair enough ! 👍

Message 50 of 68