Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an O2 mobile still on contract by someone else

mszune
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All, four weeks ago now I purchased a mobile phone from FB Marketplace as I simply did not want a new contract.

The phone in question was an OPPO Find X3 Pro, I asked the seller a number of question beforehand such as whether the phone was still on contract before handing over the cash. The following day I attempted to activate the phone by inserting my Sim and periodically it would connect to the network and then disconnect.

This did make me wonder if the phone had been blacklisted and so after contacting my provider I was told that the phone had been reported stolen the day after I had bought it from which it was then blacklisted by O2.

The seller had also blocked my facebook account preventing me from making contact with themn to rectify the issue that again seemed odd and suspicious, however having used someone else's account I proceeded to post pictures of the said person stating that they had sold me a stolen phone or had reported it stolen once cash had been handed over.

shortly afterwards the seller unblocked my account and made contact asking for the posts to be removed and explained there was some sort of mixup with Sky and the phone, this has now been ongoing for over four weeks where the seller has promised to refund the money owned so that I can return the phone and look for another. The phone has now also been unblocked and removed from the blacklist, however there is still an outstanding contract on the phone as I have been informed the sim that was once placed in the Oppo is now used in a Motorola.

My question is if I now use this telephone with it unblocked, once the payments have ceased or the seller has defaulted on payments the phone will again be blocked/blacklisted?

Money is obviously an issue with the seller, therefore can someone offer me advice or guidance on how to proceed/rectify this issue as I have been informed to contact the police or O2 to report that the seller has acted fraudulently Kind Regards. 

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@mszune It sounds like you've been had. I wouldn't trust anything the seller has told you. Whoever advised you to report it to the police is correct: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Also contact O2 customer service Fraud Department

Call 202 from your mobile or 0800 032 1402 from any phone.
When it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say 'Fraud' if the suggestion above doesn't get you through.
Best time to call is 8 am.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@mszune It sounds like you've been had. I wouldn't trust anything the seller has told you. Whoever advised you to report it to the police is correct: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Also contact O2 customer service Fraud Department

Call 202 from your mobile or 0800 032 1402 from any phone.
When it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say 'Fraud' if the suggestion above doesn't get you through.
Best time to call is 8 am.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 4

mszune
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the quick reponse as I said the seller from what I have seen is obviously desperate for cash and has only today unlocked the phone and wants me to meet her so that she can sell the phone in cash generators to then refund me what I had paid.

I obviously have the phone so until the contract is settled at any time it could get blocked again once payments have defaulted? TIA

Message 3 of 4

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Depending on the Ts &Cs of the contract the seller agreed to, the phone does belong to the other provider until it is paid for (if they operate the same way as o2 anyway).

This means that yes the phone could be blocked/reported stolen and you could be vulnerable.
If it were me I would not hand the phone back until I got my money as otherwise you would be out of pocket twice.

Keep copies of the conversation (screen shot them) in case you get any further issues as well.

Speak to action fraud and see what they think, but most likely you would need to file a report...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 4