Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive OTP’s

DavidAllan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 29 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve been having a nightmare really. Tried calling O2 about this and got nowhere. I’m having an issue with my service where I can receive all other text messages fine but not any OTP’s and SMS where it shows a name instead of a number (I.e LLOYDSBANK or AMAZON instead of a short number 0020200)

I’ve tried network resets, factory resets. Customer services have added and lifted bars to see if that does it. Nothings worked. I tried putting my sim into an old android phone. It received some of the OTP’s I’ve requested over the past few days but stopped there and wouldn’t receive any new ones. 

I’ve tried everything and the fact that both my IPhone and my old android phone are having issues with OTPs tell me it’s an issue on O2s side. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143187 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

There have been many such issues reported and it is seemingly on the increase.

We believe our community team have raised this with O2.

Any updates @Martin-O2 @RafaC @lewys-gp ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

DavidAllan
  • 29 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I hope so. I’ve just joined o2 so if it can’t be fixed soon. I’ll probably end up leaving whilst I’m in cooling off 

Message 3 of 13

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@MI5@DavidAllan I've confirmed there is a known issue with the one time pass codes. A fix is in the works so I'll update you as soon as I have more news. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 13

DavidAllan
  • 29 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Would it help to know at all that it doesn’t just affect OTP’S for me? It also affects sending an SMS to my number from my number. 

7B05E1C0-AAC8-4E48-AD53-2009CB830C95.jpeg

Message 5 of 13

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35052 Posts
  • 222 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

Haven't tried the old SMS to myself trick in a while. Here's a trick in this one, for info: 

1648372512706.jpg

(For a delivery notice, on O2, prefix msg with *0# - that's a number zero in there!).

Message 6 of 13

DavidAllan
  • 29 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No delivery text either, tried it when texting someone else and it worked fine. But texting myself isn’t working properly either. I wonder if it’s a symptom of the same issue. 

1A99703A-CAB5-4AD4-8F94-DEF4C6FC36FC.jpeg

Message 7 of 13

DavidAllan
  • 29 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Martin-O2 Is there any update on this issue? 

Message 8 of 13

ffiscool
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

all mine have stopped since Thursday. The only one that comes through, is Paypal. I have spoken to my bank a few times and they are at a loss.. most times I can get round it, but one or two places, I need the OTP.  I appreciate you have chased it.. it is just so frustrating

Message 9 of 13

NR66
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had the same problem after moving from Vodafone to O2 albeit on a new iPhone15. Not sure if this would work for all but I turned off wifi on my phone, then initiated an OTP from one of the sites that requires them. That worked. I then turned wifi back on and initiated several other OTP requests, all of which also worked. Since then it has been working fine. 

Message 10 of 13