Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USING MOBILE ABROAD

ColinBishop
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Recently arrived in Greece on holiday. Have monthly contract. Got the usual ‘Welcome to Greece’ text on arrival but two days later got a “welcome Home’ text but I’m still here! Now unable to send whats App messages to UK. Phone is connected to Cosmote Greece with R for roaming symbol displayed. Tried restarting phone but no change. Can anyone help please?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38260 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

On your phone's SIM settings, manually search for any other network, trying each in turn - even any that may say Forbidden, @ColinBishop - make sure Roaming data is enabled. If you have an iPhone, you can check your APN, if not set to "idata..." then set it to use "mobile.o2.co.uk.

You don't say what part of Greece, so Guide: Roaming in Turkey and Cyprus and Guide: How to find help & contact O2 - you can reach O2 via Social Media when connected to a hotel or restaurant WiFi on any of these links for them to check no roaming bar has been applied for any reason.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 5

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23944 Posts
  • 1044 Topics
  • 3770 Solutions

@ColinBishop If you want to use WhatsApp to send messages to the UK, use it over a Wi-Fi connection. It's free if you send your messages that way. You can call other WhatsApp users over Wi-Fi for free as well.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 5

ColinBishop
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry for delay in replying but I have had problems logging in. After my initial post I turned off the phone and moved to a new location. On switching on again I found my messages had been sent and they have worked OK since. No idea why o2 thinks I am back in the UK though!

Message 4 of 5

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38260 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

Good you have managed to get reconnected in the new place.

When you get back to the UK, @ColinBishop - take your phone and suitable photo ID (your passport should do) to any O2 Shop, and ask them to do a SIM swap for you, as it sounds like your SIM may have gone bad (they do, at times), or at least is starting to fail. Good luck!

Message 5 of 5