Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of existing O2 number from old phone to new

milouvision
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

How long is it reasonable to wait for the transfer of an 02 number to a new phone? I ask because although the O2 website says 24 hours, it's been 120 hours plus so far.

I've been an O2 customer for many years with my last phone upgrade in 2008. After this phone started playing up, I upgraded on Thursday 29th June. The upgrade process started at 11:44 am and the O2 shop in Aberdeen transferred all my data from my old phone to my new phone and suggested that the number transfer should take “about another half hour”. After returning home, I looked at the O2 website which stated that number transfers take 24 hours.

Late Friday afternoon I called 202 and was advised that the transfer request had been put in by the shop at 11:47 am on Thursday the 29th. I was also advised that the transfer couldn't take place within 24 hours but would take place by Monday morning at the latest. Needless to say that didn’t happen so after calling 202 again late Monday afternoon, I was told that the transfer would most definitely take place by the end of that day. Yet here we are with no transfer taken place.

My O2 account shows my existing number as being ‘assigned’ to my new phone, and the new phone number as being assigned to the freebie Galaxy Tab. However, my old number continues to work in my old Samsung S8 and my new phone has the new number.

Do I badger 202 again for more unfulfilled promises or is this an issue that needs to be rectified by the shop? Or is there another contact so that the transfer can take place? Or is it just a case of transferring the old SIM from the old phone to the new considering that the transfer might never be made?

Cheers

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

milouvision
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

The old SIM was physically swapped to the new phone and that incidentally also picked up a 5G signal.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

milouvision
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

"...last phone upgrade in 2008". Ought to be 2018 

Message 2 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@milouvision Just take the sim card from your old phone and put it in the new one. If O2 supplied you with a new 5G sim card and you're in a 5G area, do a sim swap: SIM Swap: a mini guide (incl eSim) - O2 Community

If you're not comfortable doing the swap yourself, call into an O2 store if you have one nearby and they'll do it for you. Be sure to bring photo ID with you if you choose do that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 5

milouvision
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks. But what if O2 then 'switch off'my old SIM. I'd have to carry around the new SIM card on the off-chance that O2 will do what it promised.

The SIM swap guide says that the swap will take place within 24 hours but it's already known that isn't true. It might be relevant (as mentioned above) that according to my O2, my old number is already allocated to my new phone. I think I'll make the 60 mile round trip to the nearest O2 shop to see if it can walk around the inertia. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 5

milouvision
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

The old SIM was physically swapped to the new phone and that incidentally also picked up a 5G signal.

Message 5 of 5