Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spasmodic connection issues?

SD6524
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Recently I've been having lots of problems receiving calls inasmuch people tell me they've tried to contact me but just get a message saying 'unable to connect - please try again later' Although my signal here is not the best I have no issues making calls - only receiving. I did have a long conversation via the 'online chat' and was told it could be a sim problem and a new one was sent out. I've fitted this new sim but the problem still persists. I desperation I bought a new phone but that is behaving exactly the same. This is now becoming annoying to say the least. This is a comparitively recent issue (3-4 months) and is slowly but surely getting worse. I've started ringing my phone to check it regularly myself from my landline when at home but can't seem to pin down what's going on. The only thing I have noticed is that all I need to do is to go into and out of 'flight mode' and the phone will then accept calls. If anyone can shed any light on what the problem might be I would be very grateful. Sorry if this is all a bit vague - I'm not much good with technology.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SD6524 

You can check for and report issues here O2 Service Status

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

SD6524
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5. I have reported via the link you provided. I used to have a good signal where I live but recently it has been getting worse and worse.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Hopefully they'll check it out for you but it may take a while.
Keep reporting if it doesn't get any better.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

SD6524
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update :

Apparently the system has been checked and there's nothing wrong which I guess I have no option but to accept. Ever since o2 have been looking onto this I keep getting a message come up on the screen telling it's having trouble trying to connect. There is no doubt that the signal where I live is now poor at best and nowhere near as strong as it used to be (As an aside, I have noticed the my 3G PAYG signal is better than my contracted 4G but i've no idea why that should be). Locals have told me that a transmitter that was fairly close to me (3 miles) was considered redundant a while ago and turned off, but I've no idea how true that is or if that is the problem. Whatever, I'm looking at going over to EE as my friends signal in my home is good. Bit disappointed in o2 as I've been with them ever since I've had a mobile phone (more years than I care to remember). Thanks for your help MI5, it is appreciated.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SD6524 

You can try switching your phone to 3g only to see if it improves as it may be 4g that's the issue.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

SD6524
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 I don't pretend to understand any of this, but I've just checked both my PAYG phone and my contracted phone and both have the 'Network mode' set to LTE/3G/2G (auto connect) yet with the two phones side by side the PAYG is showing 2bars and the contrcted phone is hovering between no bars and one bar. The phone fitted with the PAYG sim has never failed to receive a call anywhere in my home but reliablilty of the phone with the contracted sim in it is very dependant on where it is in my home. Swapping the sims has proved this is an issue between sims and not the phones. I have now set the contracted phone (via 'call forwarding') to forward any call it can't connect ('forward when unreachable') to my PAYG phone. The problem certainly only seems to be with the contracted sim.

This conversation has just prompted a thought - as my new phone is dual sim would you know if could I put the PAYG sim in the spare slot next to the contracted sim and still have the call forwarding when unreachable for the contracted sim set to divert the call to the PAYG number?

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SD6524 

Yes you can set call forwarding between the two sims in a dual sim phone but the issue may be with your contract sim.

Might be worth asking O2 to send you a new sim for your contract,

You need to call them.
All numbers are in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 
When you call, you will be asked for the reason you are calling.
Stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
You can also try saying "Upgrade" or "Fraud" to be connected to an advisor.
8.00am is the best time to call if you can.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

SD6524
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

o2 have already sent me a new sim and I've bought a new phone neither of which made any difference whatsoever. It does seem from what I'm seeing that there is an issue is with my contract sim as the PAYG is fine.

I don't know how call forwarding works but if I set my contract phone to forward when unreachable (no signal) will it still be able to send the call to my PAYG sim? (sorry for the daft questions - I'm clueless).

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SD6524 

Yes you can forward from a contract to PAYG sim, but not the other way around.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10