Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent a 4G SIM instead of 5G?

Palazzo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been having problems receiving SMS messages recently (I get some message, but not others from the same sources).

Anyway, spoke to O2 support who suggested I change SIMS in case that was the problem so they ordered me a new one, however, the one that's arrived is marked 4G while I had a 5G SIM before. I have a 5G handset and 5G was working fine on trips up to London but I don't have it my area.

Should I ask O2 to send (or maybe I can order online)  another 5G enabled SIM, or are all SIMS now 5G capable?

(Still haven't got to the bottom of my SMS issue, but I suspect it may be my default SMS App that's the culprit, as switching the SIM and toggling between 3G and 4G didn't seem to make any difference).

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Palazzo 

All sims should now be 5g but if it is clearly marked as 4g, you need to get another.

Any O2 store can provide for you.

Try Goggle sms app as there have been issues with stock apps on some phones.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Palazzo 

All sims should now be 5g but if it is clearly marked as 4g, you need to get another.

Any O2 store can provide for you.

Try Goggle sms app as there have been issues with stock apps on some phones.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

O2 should have checked that you have 5G enabled on your account and sent the correct SIM - they have sent the wrong thing, so contact them (Social media team links below if you prefer that way) to get the error corrected, @Palazzo.

Otherwise phone numbers in here: Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Message 3 of 7

Palazzo
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thought - If I've decided the SIM isn't the issue, can I just SWAP back to my old 5G SIM? Seems a shame to just waste a SIM.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Palazzo 

You could try asking O2 if it can be reactivated.

Not sure if it's possible though.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Palazzo
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. I managed to get the old SIM reactivated via online chat support. SMS seems OK with the Google "Messages" app.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7