Did you mean: 

Request: Public IP APN (O2 Details)

Comben
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 428 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi O2 community,

I recently bought an O2 sim card to use as my main internet and asked the sales staff member if O2 use public IP addresses for mobile data. (I was asking so that I can game on xbox or even work from home on my work’s secure network.)

They assured me O2 use public IP addresses for mobile data but that they don’t provide a static public IP address. That would be fine for me because usually the IP address won’t change during a session while using the data at a fixed location - It just needed to be a public IP. The sales advisor also said to speak to customer services if I have any problems with the connection.

Now that I have the sim, I’m realising that O2 don’t seem to use public ip addresses because my WAN is showing as 10.xx.xx.xx which is a private IP address and restricts my ability to game/ work from home.

From my understanding with forum + google searches, there is a way to get a public IP address which involves potentially using a VPN (I believe I saw a post from MI5 on the forums here, but this was resolved via private message. See here)

So my question is: Am I able to use a different O2 APN that is capable of offering a public IP address so that I’m able to game and log onto my work computer remotely? (maybe using a VPN)

Thanks for any help you are able to offer and sorry to waffle, it means so much to me because I live in a residential area that somehow doesn’t have cable broadband so I’m reliant on my mobile data.

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious"
Albert Einstein
Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

O2Georgina
  • 387 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 13 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @lewys-gp 

@Comben  I will send you a Private message now

signature

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Comben 

Short answer is that you need an O2 Business account to get a public ip address without using a vpn service.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

Comben
  • 428 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for such a prompt answer. Although I feel a little let down by the agent mentioning that O2 use public IP addresses for all mobile data. Is it worth cancelling my contract within the 14 days or should I try speaking to someone first?

Also in reference to my previously quoted web address do you happen to know how that person’s problem was resolved? I saw a mention of vpn.o2.co.uk and also tried to read the pdf referring to GPRS and 3G VPN but wasn’t privy to the resolution that they got via private message.

I’m really hoping O2 can help me out in some way because I’m in such a pickle, without the sim card we have no internet (I’ve been so annoyed at Open Reach/ Virgin because somehow my flat doesn’t have cable broadband connected although all the houses next to us have the new fast cable to property.) So I truly hope something can be done as internet is something most of us take for granted these days because of how much it’s used.

Albert Einstein
Message 3 of 18

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Comben 

I'll ask @O2Georgina to contact you in the morning as unfortunately I have now idea how or if the previous post was resolved.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 18

Comben
  • 428 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks so much, lets keep our fingers crossed they’ll be able to help.

As a side note, I have seen your name across so many posts on the community boards and want to personally thank you for the time and effort you put in. It’s appreciated a great deal and when I originally posted I really hoped you would reply, so thanks again for your prompt and helpful messages.

Albert Einstein
Message 5 of 18

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

No problem @Comben 

Hope you get sorted 👍

Currently using:
Message 6 of 18

Comben
  • 428 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi again, just wanted to check in regarding timeframes because as yet I haven’t heard from O2 regarding this?

I only ask due to the fact I’m coming to the end of my 14 day cooling off period and may need to switch networks if I’m unable to sort out a public IP address. Thanks again and sorry to bother you.

Albert Einstein
Message 7 of 18

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@Comben 

This should not be happening as you should be presented with a Gateway IP of  for example 82.132.244.0/22 as I see on my o2 devices (or any of the Public Gateway IP's assoiciated with the o2 ASN35228) 

madasaf1sh_0-1656431925638.png

What do you see when you use a web browser and do a whatsmyip in google?

Most networks now operate CGNAT which means all traffic is double NAT'd

Internal Private -> Carrier Private IP - Gateway IP 

Some hardware will only report the Carrier Private IP, as that is the next hop...  

CGNAT is garbage for Gaming, and to be honest you probably need to look at the likes of AAISP and their fixed IP sims or the ilk, as its a niche product..  Or hope o2 introduce IPv6

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 18

Comben
  • 428 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the reply madasaf1sh, yes to access the internet and sites such as whatsmyip, O2 does assign a public IP address. However as you mentioned O2 only does this after first assigning a private IP address or CGNAT which is where my issue stems from, as it hinders console gaming and connections to remote secure servers used when I work from home to access internal financial systems.

I have now come to understand that some carrier networks use CGNAT such as Vodafone but I thought with O2 being such a prolific carrier they wouldn't use it and I was even assured by the O2 representative that O2 use public IP addresses for their mobile data so I'm kind of annoyed by the fact I wasn't told the truth. I also believe some network providers can, under special circumstances, issue a dynamic range of IP addresses to a customer depending on their needs which is why I've come to these community pages.

I have done quite a bit of research into this and found an old O2 article linked by MI5 in the recent past which talks about using some sort of O2 VPN APN to solve some of the issues I'm taking about. However this particular case was concluded via private message and I was wondering what their solution was. (Old thread listed here for reference)

Thanks again for your reply, I hope what I've said all makes sense and do also apologise about all the messages especially when the simple answer is just to accept the CGNAT. But you have to know my back story as to why I care so much because I live in a very residential area yet somehow don't have cable broadband when my neighbours do. (It's so bizarre and all the ISP's I've contacted can't believe it) This means I'm so reliant on the O2 mobile network to help me and my family access the internet, work from home and enjoy my hobby of gaming. It may sound cliche but I honestly believe we can't live without good internet so I'm trying all I can to make this situation work for me and my family.

Albert Einstein
Message 9 of 18

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi, @O2Georgina. Is it possible for you to drop by and assist the OP further, please? Thanks!

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 10 of 18