Did you mean: 

Recovering pictures from an old Nokia 3220

Brewsker
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this should be in tech support or "Other Devices". I'm trying to recover some pictures from a Nokia 3220 belonging to my wife's aunt (she's 87). A couple of the pictures are of her husband who passed away a couple of years ago. I'm struggling to figure out how to transfer them - either to my Mac or iPhone - but here's what i've tried to do so far to get hold of them...

The phone is working fine, charging normally and I can access the pictures. 

I purchased a data cable for the phone which is recognised by the phone when I connect it, but not recognised by my Mac. 

I have discovered that I need the Nokia PC suite to utilise the data cable, and this doesn't work on Macs or anything remotely modern (like Windows 10 or a Chromebook). I've dug out an old Windows 7 laptop, which recognises a device being connected but can't recognise any drivers for it, only to discover the Nokia PC suite has been discontinued 😞

I've added credit to the phone so I can try sending the pics via MMS to myself - and this is where i've got stuck. 

MMS messages aren't sending (they just fail constantly). I'm wondering if the MMS settings were never activated on the phone as it's not something she would've necessarily known how to do. But I can't find much info online about how to sort that out. Content from a decade ago points me to sending standard messages to O2 to get the settings automatically (ACTIVE or SETTINGS to 2020) but these aren't working - I just get "sorry we're busy right now, please try again later" replies, suggesting that's not an active service any more.

Essentially, I believe I must be able to message these pics to myself (or even email them) but I must be missing a really simple configuration step. If anyone could help, I'd be really grateful!!

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Also found this for the mms settings. 

https://www.expansys.com.hk/forums/nokia-3220-113659/28143

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Brewsker 

Did you install the drivers for the data cable?

https://www.allflashfiles.org/2018/04/nokia-pc-suite-and-usb-driver-free.html

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Also found this for the mms settings. 

https://www.expansys.com.hk/forums/nokia-3220-113659/28143

Currently using:
Message 3 of 5

Brewsker
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5, that's worked perfectly! I now have the old photos on my iPhone so they're safe and backed up and I can get them to my wife's aunt now, thank you again.

It was hella fiddly going through the settings as the phone, screen and keypad are all so tiny! But I got there and this old 3220 can be wiped, retired and recycled now. 

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Good to hear @Brewsker 👍

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5