Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor 4g signal - no data

MarkHughes70
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Over the last 5 to 6 weeks i've notice the O2 signal has become awful around north wales, Chester and Oswestry.  Phone is showing 4G 4 bars but the data coming through is so slow or to the point there isn't anything.

This problem isn't unique just to me when other customers of O2 are experiencing the same issues.  What is O2 doing to resolve their poor mobile service  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12413 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1151 Solutions

See if any of the guide below can help @MarkHughes70 

Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Make sure you download and use the My Network app to report issues.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 9

Enlli
  • 7217 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1596 Solutions

I do know Chester has suffered with network congestion for some time. I suspect it may be true elsewhere 

Suggest people download the My Network App and keep reporting the places where they have problems. The more reports the better.

As to what O2 are doing? This is a countrywide problem and fixes are long term. O2 never reveal their network plans.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 9

UncleClockwise
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Coverage in Chester city centre is complete garbage. My experience so far with O2 is that it's the worst network I have used by far.

Message 4 of 9

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 37353 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1701 Solutions

@UncleClockwise wrote:

Coverage in Chester city centre is complete garbage. My experience so far with O2 is that it's the worst network I have used by far.

Make sure you download and set-up  the My Network app to report on places you are interested in - it reports issues in the background, and keeps you up-to-date real-time with work or issues with masts in areas of interest, @UncleClockwise.

Message 5 of 9

UncleClockwise
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi and thanks @pgn. I have the My Network app and had to log 7 issues yesterday in different areas of Chester. It really is pathetic considering I was outdoors in a city centre.

Based on the service I've had in various places over the last 3 months, I won't be happy until I can terminate my contract as unlimited data is worthless if you can't even get online.

Message 6 of 9

Enlli
  • 7217 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1596 Solutions

I go through Widnes, Runcorn, parts of Warrington. If I was to report everywhere I would never be off the app.

I joined O2 last year on a cheap deal just to get Volt, so nearly 12 months. I can't believe how poor the network is over such a wide area. 

At home data speeds are slow but O2 tell me everything is working perfectly.

Well signal from a single mast with just 10Mb bandwidth compared with Vodafone with access to 3 masts and 25Mb+ bandwidth. EE have reasonable 5G here.

Problem for O2 is that 5G at the moment is None Stand Alone and requires good 4G. They have to get that sorted pronto. 

Vodafone have removed 2100Mhz from 3G and boosted 4G. The rest goes this year. O2 seem to be clinging on to 3G which is inefficient and expensive to run. 

I can't see a big change in the network for years unless there is determination and heavy investment but I reckon the VMO2 move is just the first stage in flogging it all off to some hedge fund.

Here is part of Widnes 

Screenshot_20230219_124814_Opensignal.jpg

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 9

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 37353 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1701 Solutions

Termination guide here, @UncleClockwise - Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

Don't terminate your Direct Debit until O2 have processed the final payment, as they have taken to closing your MyO2 down immediately upon receipt of termination request, making final settlement difficult as any avenue for payment electronically is then gone. If there is any final balance in your favour, it may well be refunded to the Direct Debit account also. Good luck!

Message 8 of 9

UncleClockwise
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks again @pgn . I have raised a formal complaint after they initially offered me 50 quid compo. Whilst 50 quid sounds ok, I’m still left paying 25 quid every month (plus upcoming increase) for something that makes me want to throw my phone around when I’m trying to access even a limited amount of data. Even when it was showing 4 bars on 4G yesterday, I couldn’t get ANY websites or apps to function. Of all the networks I have tried, Vodafone (Voxi) has been by far the best in my experience.

Message 9 of 9