cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone has no sim restrictions yet won’t recognise my sim.

Ekmg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought an iPhone 14 privately on eBay with no sim restrictions and yet it won’t recognise any sim. Apple have confirmed iPhone is working as it should. It seems that it may be carrier locked but I can’t get in touch with the seller to see what carrier it was previously with so I can get it working. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149593 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@Ekmg 

It's been replaced by an insurance company due to a loss or stolen report.

It's worthless and illegal to own.

I suggest you put a claim in through ebay and hope you get your money back.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 149593 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@Ekmg 

Settings >General >About and scroll down to network provider lock. It will tell you if locked and who to.

Also https://www.checkmend.com/uk/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 5

Ekmg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks a lot. I ran it through checkmend as suggested and it would appear I’ve been scammed. The report says it is currently blocked and is being monitored by asset watch. I assume this means I’ve been sold a stolen iPhone 14? Any ideas on how I can unblock it or even make some money back by selling it as a phone that works in every other way except making calls?

Message 3 of 5

jonsie
  • 94097 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Usual scam

Sell a phone and then report it stolen in order to make an insurance claim

This is fraud and the phone actually belongs to the insurance company

Can you not contact the seller?

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 149593 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@Ekmg 

It's been replaced by an insurance company due to a loss or stolen report.

It's worthless and illegal to own.

I suggest you put a claim in through ebay and hope you get your money back.

Message 5 of 5