cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone going to Emergency Calls Only after leaving VoWLAN (Wi-Fi calling)

NC201
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm having quite an issue whereby my phone is almost constantly not re-authenticating with the macro network following being on a VoWLAN connection, such that when I leave my property I get "Emergency Calls Only". To clear this I need to put the phone in to Aircraft Mode and then take it back off again, up then pops the 3G/4G/5G symbol and I can then make calls again.

I've been around the houses with this one, CS were nigh on useless and it's got up to Network Support level (UK based) where a lady, who was helpful, tried to do a network refresh of the number which included taking it off the network for 4hrs and then a re-provision. At what level this has gone to in terms of refresh on the HSS/HLR I'm not sure but it's not resolved the issue.

The last port of call I've now got to is that she's basically said there's nothing more they can do from O2's perspective, given me my PAC and released me from my contract (SIM only). The thing is, I don't really want to leave O2 and go elsewhere as I'm perfectly happy with the contract I'm on, O2's outdoor coverage for voice calls etc and the network generally - it's just this issue that's causing a problem and somewhat frustrating.

Surely if this was a more widespread problem then loads more people on the network would be complaining and CS would be inundated with calls about the problem. I'm using a Samsung S22 Ultra however the same issue happened with my previous Samsung S20 5G model - so it's not handset related. I'm very technically fluent and work in a professional Telecoms capacity so I'm no numpty doing something wrong and thus rather frustrated that nobody in O2 at a Principle Engineering level (3rd or 4th line) would be able to look deeper in to this for me to resolve.

So my question here to people on here; has anyone else had the same issues, either with an iOS or Android device. My old phone, and new one, isn't O2 firmware specific (as purchased the S22 Ultra via Samsung directly) however that should be transparent as the VoWLAN standard, which is part of the wider LTE standard, doesn't require custom branded firmware to use either VoLTE or VoWLAN.

My last resort, to try and ultimately prove if this is number or network related, is to get an O2 PAYG SIM card and try this in my device with incoming calls diverted to it for a few days. If the same thing still occurs then I'll concur it's a network wide issue but just can't see that being the case!

Thoughts anyone?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23525 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3747 Solutions

@NC201 Have you tried a new sim card? You didn't mention that. If you have an O2 store nearby you can call in and they'll swap it for you. Bring identification with you if you go in store.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

As far as I'm aware, wifi calling isn't available on Pay & Go yet

Definitely try a new sim card and after that if necessary, a back-up and factory reset

A final resort would be to contact Samsung technical support so they can check the handset out

Message 3 of 9

JammyDoughnut
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm having emergency calls only issue too, however I can't contact the o2 team as I have no signal to call them or land line either, so I'm a bit stumped. I've not had signal since about 7pm on 29th Nov and at 3.15 yesterday I got a SIM 1 not allowed notification. Never come across anything like this before. 2 months left on airtime plan 

Message 4 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

We’re just customers like you but it sounds like you’ll need someone to access your account which can’t be done from here. If you message O2 using the links below, they should be able to help you with this

Message 5 of 9

NC201
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had a look shortly after posting and noticed WiFi calling isn't available on PAYG. I've done two SIM swaps, both to no avail so it's nothing to do with that. As I mentioned too, it's nothing to do with the handset as works perfectly fine with a Lebara (VF) and EE SIM, plus the previous S20 suffered the same issue.

Trying to find somebody within O2 who actually cares to progress this and secondly can escalate to someone with the relevant technical intellectual knowledge is nigh on impossible, hence why I've come on here to try and see if others have experienced anything like this similar.

The main reason I don't want to go down the Vodafone route and change network is because VF don't allow IMS prioritisation such that if you use WiFi calling (which is a neccesity at our property as all the networks coverage are poor), then it prefers the mobile network over VoWiFi and keeps switching back and forth. O2, who have seen sense, don't remove that option in the users menu and in essence I'd then just be replacing one issue with another!

Message 6 of 9

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7101 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

I'm in the same position as you with regards to Vodafone and yes it does switch, but it has never caused me any problems

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 9

NC201
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Do you mean the switching back and forth from VoWLAN to VoLTE and back or you're getting a similar issue of the Emergency Calls Only problem with VF too?

Interestingly whilst I've had mobile data disabled on the O2 SIM today and the Lebara SIM providing data the issue hasn't occured. I get good coverage out of O2 otherwise and don't want to have to change network just because of this! I have thought about getting a 30-day Pay Monthly SIM for the lowest they sell and seeing if the same issue occurs with that. I'm convinced it's a provisioning problem.

Message 8 of 9

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7101 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

Just switched to O2 to try. (Don't use it normally at home.)

Walking away from the house everything stays connected when it switches from WiFi Calling to Mobile and VoLTE 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 9 of 9