Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No roaming in St Lucia

Guybrush80
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got to St Lucia 3 days ago and I still haven't got a data connection working, despite activating the O2 Travel bolt on before leaving the UK. I'm using and eSim. I joined O2 on a 20GB contract 2 weeks ago and this is the worst possible way to start.

Called 202 5 times over the last 3 days and I've had:

Customer service person 1 saying that there was a block on my data, that he unblocked it but that I would have to wait 24 hours for that to take effect. Annoying but ok, let's go with it.

24 hours after still no data: I call 202 again and:

Customer service advisor number 2 has no idea that St Lucia is a country and insists that I just need to restart my phone and everything will magically work. Except I had already rebooted my phone probably a dozen times already. He doesn't have anything else to suggest so he ends the call. I reboot my phone again and of course no change.

Customer service advisor 3 says that she'll send me a reset message that will make my phone work. At my request, she also says that she'll email me the APN settings in case the reset message does not go through.

Obviously I didn't receive either the message or the email.

Called again today, customer service advisor 4 doesn't know of the existence of St Lucia either and says I should go to the phone settings, General and Reset. Whatever that may mean, obviously not having a clue. 

Am I missing something obvious here? All the O2 literature says that data roaming should work in St Lucia but it obviously doesn't for me. 

Posting on the off chance someone is able to help.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10130 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@Guybrush80 

To be honest I have in a travel agents and they don't know anywhere other than Benidorm.

Do you have any spend caps on your account at all.  As this can be a blocker. 

Also if on an iphone make sure the APN is set to mobile.o2.co.uk 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 15

Guybrush80
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh that sounds very sad for a travel agent 😞

But yes, I do have a £20 spending cap, but I also have the 'O2 travel and higher data limit

In non-O2 countries' bolt on which comes with its own cap of £120 - which I presume should override the £20 one? 

In any case, I'm happy to remove the spend cap, but I don't see how to do that? The O2 literature seems to refer to using the live chat in the app, but when I try to start a conversation it says all agents are busy and won't let me...

Message 3 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Guybrush80 

You can also try manually searching for a different network as some local networks may not support roaming data.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 15

Guybrush80
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yeah there are two networks here, I tried registering with both but O2 will only let me register with one of them and fail altogether with the other 🤷‍

Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Guybrush80 

O2 travel overrides any spend cap so that is irrelevant.

I does seem likely that there is a roaming bar of some sort on your account.

In view of the difficulties you have in contacting O2, If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 15

Guybrush80
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @MI5 I'll try that as a last resort, but feeling very much like I made a mistake switching to O2 from Three 😞

Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

Best of luck @Guybrush80 and let us know how you get on.

I remember from other posts that there have been issues with eSim and roaming, so be sure to ask O2 to carefully check your account settings.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 15

Guybrush80
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @MI5, I'll report on progress, if any. By the way I checked my SMS history and noticed that I got this message as soon as I landed here:

Welcome to SAINT LUCIA. You're on O2 Travel so keep your phone on and get 120 minutes, 120 texts and all the data you need for just 4.99 a day. You'll only be charged for the days you use it. This kicks in when you send a text, make a call or use data. Your daily charge applies from midnight to midnight based on the local time of the capital city in your chosen destination. For more info about O2 Travel, to see the standard roaming rates or opt out of the service visit www.o2.co.uk/travel, usage terms apply. If you have a Spend Cap, the price of this Bolt On will not be included within your Spend Cap. Call 112 for emergency services.

So that at least seems to be in order. Now to find someone technical enough to speak to!

Message 9 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12045 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions

Is it just data that is not working @Guybrush80 ?
Have you got an iPhone by any chance?

Try changing your APN to mobile.o2.co.uk as @madasaf1sh has advised...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 15