Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No SSL on iPhone mobile data but WiFi is fine

ftljouster
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

iPhone 8 (iOS 16) on a SIM-only contract, but the issue has persisted across a couple of hand-me-down phone updates and iOS versions. Most apps and browsing do not work on mobile data, only on WiFi. Chrome gives ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERR and Safari the message about being unable to establish a secure connection. Can send text only messages, but no images. WiFi is fine. O2 have tried a new SIM, and say there are no blocks on the account. APN settings have been reset, the time on the phone is correct, no VPN profiles installed. Phone has been factory reset and restored from backup, and was soft rebooted and had its network settings reset before that. It's as if O2's mobile network is preventing connections to remote port 443, or there is something on the phone doing so.

I'm baffled - what am I missing? 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Randomloginname
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Similar issues here. Can admin please contact O2 again as there seems to be more and more of us with similar issues.

Message 11 of 17

MI5
  • 146859 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28260 Solutions

@Randomloginname 

Our account advisors all left in July, so all we cab do now is refer you to O2.

Message them on Social Media. Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) or give them a call on 202 or 0344 809 0202 (contract) 4445 or 0344 8090222 (PAYG)

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 17

Randomloginname
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 don’t help, if you can ever get through to anyone. Ironically difficult for a communications company!

I’ve resolved the issue. As someone else here found, 18+ content settings are the culprit. This is not initiative, so I will provide a detailed response (Android may be slightly different).

Open ‘My O2’ app> Tap profile icon in top right>Security and privacy >Manage access to 18+ websites >tap phone number in question >check switch to ON>save settings. Like this.

IMG_9640.png

Message 13 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146859 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28260 Solutions

@Randomloginname 

We have a guide Guide: O2 Age restriction 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 14 of 17

Randomloginname
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Two points though.

My other child doesn’t have the issue when his age verification is turned off.

O2 told me on multiple occasions they switched adult restrictions off on my daughter’s phone, but the issue persisted. It only worked when I did it in the app as above.

Message 15 of 17

Oxonian
  • 7456 Posts
  • 141 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@Randomloginname 

Anyway, you seem to be sorted now so that is good. 

Message 16 of 17

Randomloginname
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

See my reply near the end of this thread. I hope it helps.

Message 17 of 17