Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NR Restricted NR Frequency unknown - in phone internal carrier specs

Redmiuser
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Redmi note pro 11 5G - new phone (wanted to test 5G works on the device) Android 11

O2 swapped sim instore on my new phone and it's been a week since 5G activation. I know where the O2 5G mast is in my town and I go to that location to see if it switches to 5G, no it doesn't.  Yes, 5G preferred is set in settings.  

Spoke to O2 and asked them if they can see a problem and they said no, only the coverage, I told them I stand next to the 5G mast, and they said oh it's a weak signal.  

Ok going into the all specs data storage hidden access panel, I see in the list of information  NR restricted and NR Frequency unknown.    Whilst standing near the O2 5G mast I forced the phone onto NR only setting.. which means only 5G as far as I know.   No signal.  Switch carrier back to NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA, all fine but just goes back to 4G. 

My question becomes, has O2 really enabled the 5G on my phone, or is there another problem?  So the next plan is to drive to another town although I know 5G is working in my town ... I'm running out of tests to try now. 

Any ideas on this?  NR: Restricted NR Frequency: Unkown

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35210 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

This app, if you are Android, might help pinpoint something for you: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite

Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Redmiuser 

Network compatibility checker here https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/GB/xiaomi-redmi-note-11-pro

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Redmiuser 

A point to note is to not stand directly under the mast, as you usually wont get the signal from the mast your are next to, you need to be be a good 100 metres away from the mast, and then it should connect to it. 

Also reboot your phone before running any tests to try and force it onto the 5G mast (it should really matter).

Also be aware that Xiaomi (who the subbrand redmi  is part of) may not have enabled UK 5G settings like what OnePlus did with some of there handsets, within the Carrier Settings. Have you spoken to Xiaomi at all?

Also is the handset you have a Global Handset or a Chinese Market handset?

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 8

Redmiuser
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, for your response.  I have the global version and that's also confirmed in my manual for EU I have checked the bands that are required and it all looks good.  No, I have not spoken to xiaomi yet.  

In the all specs entry point - via multiple taps on data storage I get entry to internal information, NR available: True is shown.. so I assume that's the manufacturer setting that, its not an accessible setting just info.  

Message 5 of 8

Redmiuser
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks I tried this app, will have to run through it for a better understanding.  Im pretty sure if the phone does not detect 5G then the app cant either.  I will give it a run through though, thanks.

Message 6 of 8

Redmiuser
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for that, I went over the purchase information, UK version, then I went over the phones included manual where it lists the bands it uses and is stated this model is for eu/uk.   So the phone bands check out on paper.  Im not one hundred percent sure O2 has 5G enabled my sim, they say they have.  So driving to another destination tomorrow.  I just want to know that my purchase works ... i accept they will role out all this very slowly in order to avoid loss of homebroadband contracts (maybe). 

Message 7 of 8

Redmiuser
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

well .. I went into O2 and they checked their end all ok and in shop 5G coverage, did sim swap again instore nothing.  Global handset, all O2 bands covered, went online to xiaomi technical and engineer went into phone did some tests and set 5G said go try it ... went to 5G coverage and nothing.  So really its return phone and replace and see what happens.  I like the phone and dont want to give up. 

Message 8 of 8