Did you mean: 

NFC and contactless pay for Nokia G11

FionaG11
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, 

Nokia have told me the G11 does have NFC for the UK models. (Nokia suggested "try VPN to change your location" - I'm not sure how to do that or if that was just guessing on their side) 

I did have a Google account for another country, which has now been deleted not just deactivated. 

The phone will allow a card to be added, but on selecting contactless options just says "You won't be able to pay with this phone. This phone doesn't support contactless payments".

Sounds like this isn't going to work for me - unless ..? Is there a set-up I haven't tried yet? Does anyone else use Google Pay with Nokia, especially the G11? 

Thanks! 

Fiona

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6258 Posts
  • 47 Topics
  • 1433 Solutions

Have you done this...

1. Tap Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > NFC.
  2. Switch NFC on.

Before using NFC, make sure the screen and keys are unlocked.

NFC on this model is region dependant 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@FionaG11 Do you have a VPN app installed? It sounds like they made that one up. Go to Settings>Connections. If NFC doesn't show as one of your connections then the phone doesn't have it and you can't use Google Pay. The GB specs say NFC is only available 'in selected markets': Nokia G11 phone with fast charging and long-lasting battery

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 6

FionaG11
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Enlli, and thanks for replying. 

There is no such setting visible, but I can't tell if it's absent from my phone by design or owing to a fault. I also tried searching for NFC in settings. The region (UK) is compatible, say Nokia. 

Fiona

Message 4 of 6

FionaG11
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks Bambino. It does look like it doesn't work/is absent, which is disappointing in a new phone! Oh well. (Nokia say it does have it but also "we don't know", Google say ask the manufacturer, I can't get hold of O2 to ask them what they think!) Looks like a no. Thanks all.  

Message 5 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@FionaG11 Where did you buy the phone, and how long ago? If it's a new phone and Nokia are telling you that NFC is available, and NFC connectivity doesn't show in your settings then you've been sold a phone from outside of the UK region. The specs here also say NFC is 'market/region dependent': Nokia G11 - Full phone specifications (gsmarena.com)

The phone must still be under warranty, so I would complain to Nokia or to whoever you purchased the phone from.

I have NFC capability on my phone and use Google Pay wherever I can, which I find very useful.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 6