Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Sim only contract but swapping the phone

Farha
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So I have a great sim only deal at the moment, however I am looking at a new phone.
The phone is only available for pre order at the moment, can I buy the phone alone without a air time plan?
The delivery says from 13th but when will I actually get it? If I preordered today? 13/14/15/16/17/18???
I can order the phone straight from apple for cheaper for less time (2 years) not 3 - much better deal.

Can I just put the sim only plan sin card from my current phone into that one and still pay the same amount?

I’ve been on hold for 2 hours trying to speak to someone from o2. I am getting so incredibly impatient with o2 service!
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
The only reason to call them would be if you had insurance as the new phone would not be covered.
You can swap the sims over and o2 would not be bothered - you are paying them to access (and use) their network, but what device you use is up to you.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

gmarkj
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Yes you can buy the phone from Apple and just use your existing sim @Farha - so long as it is the correct size.
If it is not, then you can request a new one that will fit (o2 now issue triple sims, where you pop out the correct size).
If you buy from o2 you will probably end up with either a new deal (sim and phone), or upgrade the one you are on now.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 2 of 8

Farha
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That’s so so so helpful!
I currently have an iPhone 8 Plus at the moment, which I believe is a nano sim?
Do you have any idea if the iPhone 12 Pro Max is nano sim?
If so this would be compatible I’m sure?

From apple support I can get this information
“ Dual SIM (nano‑SIM and eSIM)12
iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max are not compatible with existing micro‑SIM cards.”

However don’t think it applies as I only have an 8 plus which is a nano sim, theoretically then it would work?

@gmarkj would you agree? Or am I totally on the wrong path there?

I appreciate your help so much!!
Message 3 of 8

Farha
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Also purchasing from apple I assume it would be unlocked!
Message 4 of 8

gmarkj
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Searching google it would seem both the 8 and the 12 use nano sim, so no issues there.
Apple sell unlocked phones, so again no problems.
The only thing that won't work is 5G - your current sim is most likely a 4G sim, but unless you are in a 5G area I would not worry too much.
Once you have the new phone you could always call o2 to ask for a new 5G sim anyway!

Message 5 of 8

Farha
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you! That is what I thought but having the confirmation before it’s too late is perfect peace of mind!
One last question then I promise to leave you to your evening! Haha!
This could just be me being silly, if I were to purchase the phone through apple, will I need to contact o2 regarding anything (other than a 5g sim which isn’t any good at the moment anyway due to coverage!) about the swap! Or is that okay to just simply swap the SIM cards over myself and carry on as normal? I appreciate your time and knowledge here I am really thankful! Thanks @gmarkj !!!
Message 6 of 8

gmarkj
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
The only reason to call them would be if you had insurance as the new phone would not be covered.
You can swap the sims over and o2 would not be bothered - you are paying them to access (and use) their network, but what device you use is up to you.

Message 7 of 8

Farha
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ah, you’re a superstar! Thank you so much for all of your help, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it!! I hope you have a lovely evening slight_smile
Message 8 of 8