Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I misunderstood?

adrian007
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am at home in the UK, with my wifi turned on and my phone set to make wifi calls

I phone my parents in new Zealand - its a wifi call so its free...

I thought ... but I am clearly wrong as a 1hr 20 mins call cost me £200

Am I wrong? Is there another setting I need to tweak?

Thanks for your help

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35788 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

WiFi Calling uses WiFi to connect you to O2's network, you still get charged for the call per minute, depending on the cost-saving Bolt-ons you may have.

For truly free calls from UK to NZ, get you and your called party to use WhatsApp, as an example, and home WiFi - calls between two WhatsApp users then are truly free. Skype does similar, and other such apps exist that do the same thing.

Sorry you had such a costly reveal that WiFi calling on O2's network is not free-of-charge (or included in your tariff, as a long call within the UK would be).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

pgn
  • 35788 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

WiFi Calling uses WiFi to connect you to O2's network, you still get charged for the call per minute, depending on the cost-saving Bolt-ons you may have.

For truly free calls from UK to NZ, get you and your called party to use WhatsApp, as an example, and home WiFi - calls between two WhatsApp users then are truly free. Skype does similar, and other such apps exist that do the same thing.

Sorry you had such a costly reveal that WiFi calling on O2's network is not free-of-charge (or included in your tariff, as a long call within the UK would be).

Message 2 of 4

adrian007
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks for your reply. nightmare learning curve

Message 3 of 4

pgn
  • 35788 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@adrian007 wrote:

thanks for your reply. nightmare learning curve

Once bitten, twice shy, @adrian007.

Ways to save, but not free as you would get with WhatsApp calls, here for Contract customers (Pay monthly):

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/calling-abroad-pay-monthly

Message 4 of 4