Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good 4g signal -no internet

Buttshill
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, at my mother's house I get good 4g signal but very sparodic internet. 

I see that the signal indicator sometimes changes from a triangle to an exclamation mark on the right. Any ideas.

Phone works well elsewhere 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7347 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 1606 Solutions

Sounds like a capacity issue at that location try

https://status.o2.co.uk/

And maybe these guides

Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Guide: Is the network down for me or everyone? 

Guide: Do you have poor coverage / signal Indoors? This may help Explain / resolve it 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 8

Buttshill
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No status issues indicated. Tried rebooting the phone - no difference. As I use an esim I can't switch the SIM to another phone. This is not the first I have had this issue at this location 😞 

Message 3 of 8

Buttshill
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If I go upstairs the internet is far more reliable, but the indicated signal strength doesn't change.

Message 4 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147812 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28355 Solutions

@Buttshill 

Sounds like building construction issues as described in the guide given above.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 8

Buttshill
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Bit of an academic question, but why do I see good 4G signal and still no internet?

Thanks for the help 

Message 6 of 8

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7347 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 1606 Solutions

Lots of reasons, the strength of signal does not indicate the quality of signal. Other factors such as number bandwidth and configuation come into play, especially with data. How many cell towers does the phone see are you getting 4G or 4G+

Our members @japitts could explain as networks are his job

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 8

japitts
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 156 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

As @Enlli has mentioned.. the on-screen signal bars are a (very rough) indicator of the received signal quality - how strong, good quality/lack of interference, etc. Data speeds are dictated by the amount of spectrum or capacity on that signal, divided by the amount of users wanting a share.

A greater number of serving sites is always good, but also the amount of spectrum deployed on each site. In a rural location you will generally have less capacity deployed than on dense urban sites where multiple carriers would be needed.

You can potentially therefore, have perceptibly poor coverage but excellent speeds - if there's plenty of spectrum available and radio conditions are usable. Or excellent displayed coverage but poor speeds - if there's insufficient capacity available to support the usage being attempted.

There will always be localised differences, but nationally the big-4 networks are generally rated consistently in how well they tend to perform with data services.

Message 8 of 8