Did you mean: 

Getting a signal for 5G when it is not rolled out in my area

James-Thornton
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, 

Around a month ago I started seeing 5G being displayed on my iPhone (it started as 1 bar and now goes from 1-3 bars) and got quite confused, as your coverage checker showed that 5G was not in my area and this speed was really slow (3G speeds). Also, I live around 10 minutes drive from Littlehampton which is my nearest town which does not have 5G either.

When checking for an issue in my area initially it sad nothing was wrong, but then said there was an issue with my mast.

After speaking with one of your colleagues on Twitter they suggested you might be testing 5G in my area.

I wanted to know is there any way for you to find if this is the case as firstly, it would be hand to have, and lastly, the signal I am getting is so unpredictable right I don't have a steady connection?

Please let me know and if you can't find that out, how long does it roughly take to test and install 5G?

Thank you 

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@James-Thornton 

The only info O2 give out is on this site O2 Service Status

Obviously though, the only way you will see a 5g signal is if they are in the process of installing and testing a 5g mast in your area.

Testing and installation can take a few months though.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@James-Thornton 

The only info O2 give out is on this site O2 Service Status

Obviously though, the only way you will see a 5g signal is if they are in the process of installing and testing a 5g mast in your area.

Testing and installation can take a few months though.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

James-Thornton
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 Ah okay. Thanks. The O2 Service Status was the site I used which told me there was an issue with the mast in my area.

I initially thought it was just an error with a 4G mast but from what you've said and what O2 said on Twitter, it looks like they're testing and installing 5G. 

Hopefully 5G should be working soon and my speeds will get better and more reliable 😊 

Thanks

Message 3 of 3